Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking apart the door...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MountainMan, Sep 30, 2004.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

I am about to being taking apart my driver side door so i can replace the vent window. Are there tricks to pulling off all that interior paneling, do i need a special tool, or can i just give it a firm pull and it will come off (in a way that will allow me to put it back on later)

THX /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

after unscrewing the panel screws, and dont' forget the arm rest screws, there are two chistmas tree connectors on the panel. i forget where exactly they are but you can pry the panel back enough to see them. then pull those out. then lift upward on the panel. there are clips at the top where the window channel is. roll the winder down and git yer hand in there to pull it off.

putting it back on is a pain to get everything to line back up. i replaced my front window seals several months ago.

good luck

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

There is a tool to remove those christmas tree (like stated above) connectors. Most auto parts stores sell them. You really only need one when the door panel is made of card board. If the door panel is plastic, you can get them out if you are careful...

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Call me a cheap prick,but when I needed a tool like that to pull my door panels off,and didnt have one,or the cash to buy one,I saw the cooking utensils hanging on my gas grill--the "pickle fork"looking thing usually used to stab your steaks worked perfectly!--I never used the fork for cooking anyway!--its now hanging over my workbench! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif