Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking leaves out of a 12 inch lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MOBK5, Mar 13, 2006.

1. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Ive got a lineup on a 12 inch lift kit, but theres a problem. I only want 6-8 inches. The guy selling it to me is a mechanic and tells me I can take leaves out, replace them with leaves with less arch and it will take the lift down a few inches. I dont doubt what hes saying at all, Im just curious if any of you guys have done it. I like the idea of rebuilding them with less springs and getting more flex, but I dont know how my shakle angle will be and all that jazz.

Shortened: Can I mix and match leaves to make a 12 inch spring to a 6 or 8 inch spring easily?

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Lots of ppl do this wiht 6 or 4" springs, so it could work on 12" ones.

Personally, i wouldnt' do it....you shoudl be able to find some 6" used ones pretty easily instead. If you take leaves out and essentially lower the spring rate, the spring will sit lower and end up being longer eye to eye, making for wierd shackle angles. Yes, this happens when you do it ot a 6" spring, but it wouldnt' be as drastic.

Anyways, thats just my personal 0.02, lets see what others say....

3. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

bump

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

The main leaf on those 12" front springs is extremely arched, even if you did remove a few leaves I would think it would cause undue stress to the main leaf of those front springs.

The 12" lift kit comes with 8" rear springs and 4" blocks, so you could just ditch the blocks in the rear.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took the lower two springs out of my 12" pack, and tho it wasnt' on the road, it flexed alot better, lowered it 4-5" (guessing), and didn't really effect shackle angle too much. Try it, if it's doesn't work there are alot of people selling 6" springs.