Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking off Pass. Side Valve Cover...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bross82, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Does anyone else have some type of metal housing around the passenger side exhaust manifold. I tried a week or so ago to get that valve cover off to see whats wrong with the motor. i can hear a fairly loud metallic clacking noise while the truck is running, and since the last time i drove it a while ago....it just bogs down and has pretty much no power when i give it gas. i'm pretty sure then that something went in there, but i cant get to it to see what to see how bad. i almost had the cover off, but the side away from the engine was getting stuck on some housing on the manifold that from what i can tell has no point. the driverside doesnt have it, and it doesnt hook up to anything. it isnt much bigger than the manifold itself and is pretty flush to it, but sticks out enough to block the valve cover lip from getting by. the on the top of the front has an opening in the shape of a cylinder, similar to the size of what you might put a radiator hose on. but if you look through it, you can see the manifold....curious if anyone knows what this is. sorry no pics right now.

thanks,
    matt

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats for the THERMAC system, to heat up the incoming air charge under certain temps. It mates up to the underside of the stock air cleaner snorkle via a flexible metal tube that looks like dryer ducting.

The manifolds you are dealing with have most likely swollen, I've seen it before. Thats why the metal is interfering.

3. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

the metal "housing" that goes around the exhaust manifold should be for the stove pipe, there should be an expandable metal tube that goes from that to the bottom of the stock air cleaner assemly. The point of this is to provide warm air to your intake on warm up to help the engine reach operating temp quicker. The stock air cleaner assembly had a butterfly to shut it off when it was up to temp. Then the engine would get air from the intake tube that went to the radiator support.