Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

taking off the rear bumper????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Capnscoop, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Capnscoop

Capnscoop Registered Member

from what i can see i only have 2 bolts left and then it should come free....the 2 bolts are with an allen key???? why is this ..ive tried to brea kem lose but its to hard ..what should i do??? thanks and happy easter

2. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

They have a nut on them, break them loose first, then get an allen wrench and get them the rest of the way off. spray em with some pb or wd and put some balls into it.

3. JKLJKL

JKLJKL Registered Member

if i remember correctly the allen key bolts have that little thing coming off of em. i believe it acts as some type of saftey stop for the tailgate. i cut mine off when i took my tailgate off. its faster

4. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I dont remember those holding the bumper on. It has been a few months since I took mine off, but I only remember 6-8 bolts that were easy to get to?

Oh yeah, where in South Florida are you?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are no allan keyed bolts for the rear bumper, unless the ones with the plastic impact strip are what you are dealing with, and they are somehow way different than the all chrome bumper?

Stock you take the 8 nuts off the back side and it falls off. (don't forget to disconnect the license plate lamp wire first!) The only allan headed bolts I can think of back there are the ones that tailgate springs latch onto.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

x2, afaik

on my 82, it was all regular hex nuts/bolts. been a few years, but 6 or 8 sounds right.

7. Capnscoop

Capnscoop Registered Member

i got em off...they were a stop for the tail gate...and im in west palm beach