Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking on water...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, May 16, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Okay, so last Saturday, I took my truck to the annual mud bash to see what it had. It's been raining day in day out here, and I was told the "play area" was a bit flooded. Well that it was, and in order to get around from place to place there, you had to cross mid-sized puddles of water. Well after crossing them a few times to get from mud pit to mud pit, my motor died. It kept starting back up, but no matter how far I gassed it, it still wouldn't move, then it died again. I took the air cleaner lid off and found the air box full of water...

Does anyone have any recommendations of how I can keep water from splashing into my airbox? I'm not driving through water up to my motor, but it is actually splashing in there. Thanks.

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

snorkle:dunno::dunno:

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Slow down. The faster you go, the higher the water climbs up the front of your truck, and the more likely you'll take water into the air cleaner housing.

Also consider putting some splash gaurds on between the inner fenders and frame rails, along with making sure you've got a fan shroud to keep water from getting splashed up by the fan.

Other than that, your only bet is a snorkle.

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah I have had the same problem a few times before. I drive too fast. I am a speed junky thats why I don't like rocks.
    I was thinking of making a semi-snorkle where the intake sits on top of the front fender and bent so that it faces away from water flying up. I would love a snockle but I don't want to cut any holes in my bodyfor it to come through.

5. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

Snorkel, or some people have run their intake into the cab with an open element filter on the end, but with that you have to worry about backfiring... Also I have heard of putting pantyhose on the front of your intake duct, that will stop some.

6. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Is there a reason you couldnt use the stock filter assy. Cut off the yolk part that sticks out and face it towards the firewall. Sure it wouldnt get as much air but you could turn it around just when your playin

7. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

i ran a dryer duct hose off the end of my stock air cleaner assembly and have it run between the battery and coolant overflow. It doesn't keep 100% of water out but it helps out A LOT.