Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

taking out interior today, what's this thing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by emoo99, Sep 15, 2004.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

taking out interior today, what\'s this thing?

It's on the passenger side lower kick panel plastic molding thing, has kinda a scoop over it but it's a thing that open and closes, i took the whole panel off and looked inside the big hole and found alot of mud, leaves, dirt and all that crap just sitting in the inner corner panel, in the hole there's a propeller looking thing.. anyone know what this is and if i can just patch up the hole and paint over it?
    I took out all my soakin wet moldy carpet and now taking the kickpanels off to trace some leaks and i'm wondering what to do about this thing now...

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: taking out interior today, what\'s this thing?

That would be called a Kick panel air vent. When you move your heater selector to vent, that metal canister(diaphragm)opens that door and lets air into the cab.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

and IIRC it pulls air from the cowl

4. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

hmm, so without it there, and just an open hole will i constantly get air into the cab? i guess my lazy self can go drive and see but i'll ask instead..
    and if i stop that propeller with expanding foam or something so it doesn't turn is there another vent anywhere to get air from? cuz my vent heat works alot better than my heater heat.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are gutting the AC system, you can pull the vent out of a non-AC truck and use it instead. Uses a pull handle instead of the heater/AC controls.

Not much point to welding the hole up, stuff is still going to pile up in there, might as well be able to get at it and clean it out.