Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking out the tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Aug 11, 2000.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I am swapping my 700r4 tommorow for another one and i have never done it on a 4x4. I think i am going to have to drop the transfer case as well. Any one have any tips Thanks - Doug Krebs

Doug Krebs

2. bart

bart Registered Member

I think it would be best for you to drop the transfer case then remove the transmission...I think trying to do it all in one would be too heavy. (I'm trying to remember my brother's k5 with the auto...I have a manual)

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've tried it both ways . Taking the transfer case off is best .With it on makes everything to unstable .

4. James

James 1/2 ton status

krebs,
    I just finished last wknd taking out my th350 and 1st my np203 t-case. If yours is set up anything like my set. You almost have to. T-case bolts to adapter, adapter bolts to the tranny. Adapter is mounted to the crossmember support. Anyways now is a good time to check the seals on the t-case and replace if needed and check the shift linkage as well. Only advise I can give is if you do take out the t-case and crossmember, under no circumstances should you allow the tranny to support itself from the bell housing only. Always keep a jack underneath supporting the tranny. Might have someone help you with t-case. Did mine by myself not to smart. Chest was little bruised up for next two days. Tranny jack a plus(really makes it easy) or you can take off the top round disc on your reg jack and bolt a 2x6 x 18in long and balance the tranny on it . Just take it slow. anyways good luck
    Peace
    James