Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking recommendations for lift and tires, want 4" /33s?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TexasBlazerBoy, Nov 22, 2005.

1. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have any recommendations? want 4" lift w/33s.
    I have a 1977 K5 350/350 203. I hope I did this right 2nd post.

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

what are you going to be doing? i had a rancho 4" with rear blocks and 33" BFG M/T. i hated the rancho front springs, they felt like bricks. I still use the BFG's, they work good for a DD and the weekend wheeling. I did a 63" spring swap in the rear and will be doing 52" springs in the front so i will have a better suspension.

3. TexasBlazerBoy

I will mostly being doing mudding and trail riding. Have a tralier to pull it on will not be roading it that much. I don't know which suspension lift to go with. RC, TC, Pro Comp, Skyjacker, Fab Tech. Also I don't want to buy 33's and not be happy with them the first time I go out, would it be worth it to just get 35s. Will that wear out my transmission real fast? So many things I don't know about. Also what is a locker suppose to do exactly? Do I need one?

4. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The search function is your friend.....This same question gets asked all the time. 4" lift with 33's is very common. What lift to use depends on cost and flexability....Go low cost (Rough Country) and you loose out with a rough ride with not as much flex as TC or BDS springs. I've got RC springs up front and don't mind them, but I don't need mine to score 1000 on the local RTI ramp either. Cost was a big factor for me. Then again, you don't need a whole lot of flex in the mud, some on the trail is nice though (keeps the fillings in your teeth!)

There are TONS of threads on what brand of lift to use, go find them and take in all the info and decide for yourself.

As for the 33's vs 35's, again it's a covered subject. BUT most with 33's end up wanting something a little bigger. I was this way and dumped my 33's for 35's. Still need to optimize my axle ratios for the 35's though. 3.73's is about as small a ratio to run with 35's, 4.10 or 4.56's would be more ideal. No the 35's won't wear out your transmission if you got a good (LARGE) cooler on it and you are not running 2.73 or 3.08 gears.

Lockers are great, but not a requirement. I don't have any in mine and consider it insurance to not break anything. I keeps me from going where I might get into trouble and start snapping stuff.

5. mayerichm

mayerichm Registered Member

Always go bigger than what you think you want. I wanted 4" with 35s, now I want 38s and the little rubber nipples are still on my 35s. Just my .02.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

DIY shackle flip in the rear with rebuilt stock springs and either BDS or Tuffcountry 4" springs up front.

tires depends on the terrain... if its gonna see street and offroad miles, go with a standard mud terrain tire. BFG, toyo, Procomp, Goodyear etc all make them.

j

7. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

I originally wanted 4" and 33's and then decided i wanted 35s and i couldn't be more pleased with the 35's.

I did 4" Tuff country with blocks, but plan to get a DIY4X for christmas.

Im running open diffs with 3.42 gears, they are ok for me, but I know the tranny doesnt really like them

8. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

I recommend going with the 35's it gives you that much more room to keep from draggin parts in the mud.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am in the process of putting 4" with 37 MTRs and I have already decided I will be going to 40s or 42s before it is "done". If you only want 33s dont even bother with the lift. If you wanna lift 4" and 35s looks good and is quite functional.

Just my .02

Ira

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What he said!

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's where it always starts...... :rolleyes:

12. TexasBlazerBoy

Thanks for all the info, now I know where to get started and have some ideas

13. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I'm going to answer this from the "what would I do different" stand point. I would start with the right gearing for the desired tire size. I think 33's and 3.73 or 35's and 4.10 for street first offroad second type of truck. This may mean finding a donor truck(s) for the complete axles with gears if you don't already have them. Next get the tire you want, maybe the easiest part of this. Third is the lift. 4" lift is fine for 33's on the street but may need front fender trimming if you choose flexy springs. For 35's, I'd still stick with 4" lift, add ORD zero rates and ORD 1" body lift and definately trim front fenders even for street or the tires will do it for you. HOW you lift it is your choice, I'd go with 4" front springs and ORD shackle flip for the rear. Once you start down this path, you always want more so start with something that can be added to easily (inexpensively). This is what I think is right based on the mistakes I've made.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

So you're saying Rough Country springs don't flex very well????

hmmm, i have some pictures that beg to differ with this statement,,,yes they do ride alittle harsh, especially when you first install them, but they do (at least mine did) loosen up some the more you drive on them,,,and to make it even better, i removed a leaf from each side on the fronts to help with the "harshness". Still a firm ride, but not nearly as harsh as it used to be.

with mild wheelin i'd do the 35" tire setup, if your not going to be riding it around on the streets much, and don't care for ride comfort,,,go with the cheap lift,,,they DO flex decently.