Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking SFA A Bit Further..C1500

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by DusterRT, Aug 18, 2002.

1. DusterRT

DusterRT Registered Member

Hi everyone, newbie here..I've seen quite a few posts related to converting IFS to solid axles, which is encouraging! I've got a '91 C1500 which is an extremely sharp truck, runs great (despite having 145K on the 305/5 speed), and is paid for..but I want 4wd. Thought about getting IFS stuff to convert, but I want to be different, plus I don't like the complexity of it. It looks like I'm not the only one like this, as I'm hearing there's going to be a kit to do just what I want coming next year from offroad unlimited. But I like doing stuff myself, I like fabricating things, and I don't like the pricetag (I'm guessing $800+ for what amounts to spring hangars and bracketry). Now, as far as components I was thinking a dodge dana 44 (to keep 5 lug pattern, I've got dual pattern wheels which would work nicely if I run a 2wd 12 bolt) with pass side pumpkin (is relocating spring perches ok? I would like to think if it works for passenger car axles it should be ok for trucks), and then running a divorced transfer case (NP 208? Would a 205 be excessive overkill?) to get a little more front driveshaft length and retain my existing transmission. It's a longbed, so the rear shaft length should be ok, correct? I wouldn't be doing hardcore 4 wheeling, nor will I be starting the actual converting until summer break. But I can find and collect parts until then! These figures of $3K to convert an existing 4wd truck scare me; that's more than I paid for the truck! Is it insane to think I can do it for closer to $1500?? Sorry about being so long winded..

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, yeah, when I was last in ORU's shop they were working on a 2wd to 4wd conversion but they said the kit would be significantly more than the 4wd sfa swap, which is already almost 800.

Now, what size tires do you plan on? You have a 10 bolt now in the rear, and it won't handle more than 33's, you can drive all day on the street and still blow it with 35's. So, I would suggest upgrading to a 14 bolt FF rear with 8 lugs, which can be found rather cheaply since they are so common. Then get an 8 lug front dana 44 pass. side diff front axle to match it.

As far as a t-case, you can run a 203, 208, or 205. I would personally run a 205 due to the strength and if you ever want to go bigger tires or turn it into a hardcore rig, you will already be set. And 205's are rather common and inexpensive.

3k to convert an existing 4wd to sfa??? I'm at $12,500 so far and I'm still not close to being finished/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.

Anyway, if you want to see a 4wd being converted, check out my site: http://www.industrialoffroad.com/pccsusp.htm

3. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Hey Jason
    If you would break down the $12,500 for me.
    I really like your build up.
    Thanks Ray

4. willyswanter

Sure:

--Exhaust Bits and Pieces to get around shackle brackets and new muffler: $523.71
    --5.5" Skyjacker Rear Springs: $571.50
    --39.50 Load Range E TSL's mounted on 16.5x9.75 Eagle 589's: $1947.08
    --ORD Shackle Flip, Xover Steering, Rear U-Bolt Flip, 1" Zero Rate: $792.00
    --8" BDS Front Springs and Install Kit: $366.70
    --Custom Built 79 Ford HP Dana 60 Front with 5.13 Gears: $3950.00
    --Off Road Unlimited SFA Kit: $749.00
    --Off Road Unlimited Torsion Sway Bar Kit: $399
    --Custom Earls Braided Brake Lines: $67.00
    --Sway-A-Way 2.5" Race Runner Shocks: $1208
    --5.13 Gears and Detroit for 14BFF: $750.00
    --Front and Rear 1410 Driveshafts: $1100.00
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Grand Total So Far: $12423.99

I still have a bunch to do like fabricate shock hoops, rock sliders, and winch bumpers before this project is done, but it's fun getting there:).

I havent purchased the shocks yet because as of right now I am not happy with the rear springs or anything else back there at the moment. I'm working on going 4 link with coil-overs but I need to win the lottery first /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .

5. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

WOW that sounds like a nice rig but i beleive the swap can be done for a WHOLE lot less money! Lets see how much ive got in mine!
    1. Chevy dana 60(w/lincoln locker)---1200.00
    2. 56" rear factory springs(installed on the front)--0.000
    3. 4 each procomp shocks 150.00
    4. steel for all bracketery 100.00
    5. Stainless lines from forklift for brakes---20.00
    6. Use stock rear springs moved inbd under frame---0.00
    7. 14 bolt rear with detroit-----450.00
    8. 4 39.5 boggers---------------1200.00
    9. Hummer wheels(modified)-------800.00

Damn my rig isnt as nice as yours but ive still got over 5000.00 in just swap parts.I cant beleive how quick it adds up!!!!!!!

6. tjayandlisa

tjayandlisa Registered Member

you guys arent done yet! Wait there is always more...

7. willyswanter

Yeah, like spending 200 on extending my rear shaft today...

Heres where I'm sitting:

[​IMG]

Only thing left is fill the diff and bolt the driveshaft back up.

8. tjayandlisa

tjayandlisa Registered Member

you got away good...I did 1350 c.v. on mine(rear) $400 and broke the cv twice now...I hoping from axle wrap, doing a set of custom traction bars this weekend...

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

How about this use a late model tranny with a 241 t-case with the pinion on the drivers side. Then get a set of axels from an old F-150 or 78-79 Bronco. Just fab up some mounts to locate the coil springs to the frame and a mount for the radius arms and you should be 90% there. A Ford Dana 44 is a high pinion and the 9 inch rear is a stout rear end.

10. DusterRT

That sounds great actually, and simpler at that. What are the pitfalls of the radius arm design vs. leaf springs or 3 or 4 links? Seems like possibly less articulation, maybe not as durable or easier to break (well that depends alot on how its built I guess). I'm not too familiar with Ford's front end, how are the springs mounted on the axle? Is it a cast-in deal on the passenger side? Do they have axles with the pumpkin on the passenger side? I'm 180 miles from my truck right now, but I'm not sure if I'd have problems with my gas tank with a driver side setup. The divorced case seems appealing to me for weight distribution, and the fact that the tranny in the truck is perfectly fine. Things seem to have gotten alot easier for some reason now...thanks for the idea!!

Travis

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yes you could do a divorced t-case but it would have to be a Ford t-case and the best bet would be a 205. Or you could use a late model tranny with a 241 case married to the tranny since 88 and newer trucks have the front drive shaft on the drivers side like a Ford. As far as articulation goes you would then use all the secrets that the Ford guy's use. As far as the spring mounts go I belive the are welded on the axel. I saw an old early 60's Chevy in 4Wheel & Off Road a few years back where they did this and the coil springs mounted up in the original location as the stock 2wd ones. Now as far as yours goes you would have to check.

12. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

yeah im just curious,CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY EVERYBODY USES FORD STUFF IN THEIR CHEVIES???? No i know why so you dont have to change the transmission and transfer case.But really I dont see many people running pass side front diffs on these very often and thats what i did and it seems im the odd-ball! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

13. DusterRT

Well I found a good deal on a divorced 205 from a Dodge, so let's see...Chevy truck, Dodge transfer case, Ford axles (I may even be a sicko and use a Ford up front and a Dodge out back; just kidding, I think). I bet it'll be enough to make the purists cry, he he he. When the 305 craps out I'm going to shoot for a Toyota 4.7 and a...now I am kidding. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Travis