Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking the cover off the 465 - STUCK IN GRANNY LOW

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Apr 14, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Taking the cover off the 465... it doesn't want to come... I can't shift it into "almost reverse"... I cant shift it at all for that matter... What do I do?

Stuck in gear, -Dan

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Taking the cover off the 465

Dan, try shifting all the way to reverse and see what happens.

If that don't do it, try every gear, etc.

3. KRAZIE87K5

I can't move the shifter at all.... I have been yanking the trans all over the garage trying to get it to come out of gear! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Could it be stuck?

-Dan

(Wes, this is the "parts" trans)

4. KRAZIE87K5

Its stuck in granny gear if I had to guess...

-Dan

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm gonna look in my book and see if there is anything about removing this top plate.

6. KRAZIE87K5

Everything I have found only shows to put the trans halfway into reverse, then it should come off... but the problem lies in my not being able to change gears at all... Ideas?

-Dan

7. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Not an expert with the 465 but, but try putting the transfer case in neutral. Hope that helps..

Eat More Mud!!!

8. KRAZIE87K5

You see - that is just the thing... the trans is outta the truck, and sitting on the garage floor. the xfer case and adapter have been seperated. I can turn both the input and output shafts, they seem to be turning with a 1 to 1 ratio right now... but the shifter indicates that the trans is in 1st, or granny gear.

I have seriously wrenched on this thing, but it doesn't want to move. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I can't even start to disassemble the "parts" trans until I can shift it! So I need to know what to do here... I am stuck! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Thanks all!

-Dan

9. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Dan,
    Did you try taking the shifter out and realigning the forks down in the shifter hole? I have had them lock up before when the shifter managed to work its way out of one of the shifter fork channels. I used a big screwdriver and lined the forks back up, put the shifter back in and it worked fine.
    Russ

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dam Russ beat me to it.
    saw this from a friends but it wouldnt let me log in???
    I have never pulled the cover with the shifter in place
    I would recommend pulling the shifter and useing the above mentioned big screwdriver to shift the rails to neutral and then 1/2 in R to remove top.
    the R rail is the one with the spring loaded button in it

11. KRAZIE87K5

Russ-

Realigning the forks... sounds like a hell of an idea, but I have never really worked on a manual tranny before, and would only know the forks from the pictures that I have seen in manuals. I did notice 2 different locations where the shifter could be placed. IIRC, the slot that would be to the passenger side was further back towards the output shaft than the slot on the drivers side. Should these two be aligned?

What do I do?

12. KRAZIE87K5

Which position internally should I move the forks to with the aforementioned "big screwdriver?" Is there someway for me to shift it into the correct place without the shifter itself?

Thanks guys....

-Dan

13. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Dan,
    MJ said it. You will see 3 slots in there for the shifter to ride in. Line up the two without the spring loaded button together and then depress the button with the screwdriver and shift that one partway and your cover should come off. Or just line them all up and put your shifter back in and shift halfway to reverse and try taking the cover off. Sometimes it helps to have the shifter handle to pull the cover up.
    Russ

14. KRAZIE87K5

I can't wait to get into the garage tomorrow to see if I can't make sense of your description! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Only problem being, I only noticed two "slots", but maybe I'm not looking at the same thing you guys are explaining. I'll have to take a picture once I get in there! Solves this problem for the next guy - f there is any other people out there who could screw this up! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Dan

15. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Dan,
    It has been awhile since I took one apart, so I went out and pulled my shifter out and checked it. The two forks to the passenger side have slots which should be lined up. The reverse fork is to the drivers side and the slot in that fork has the spring loaded button in it. You have to depress that button to shift it. It should make sense to you once you look in there.
    Russ

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the third rail isnt apparent at first as it has the springloaded button that provideds the resistance you feel when pushing shifter into R.
    the rails have 3 positions with detents, centre'd is neutral
    centre the low/first and second/third rails and tranny will be in neutral
    then push the button in and shift the reverse rail half into gear and it falls apart like magic after fighting with it.
    you will figure it out and be a tranny expert when you are done.
    I could tease you about your grand mainshaft swappin plans when you cant even open the lid......but I have BTDT

17. KRAZIE87K5

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I could tease you about your grand mainshaft swappin plans when you cant even open the lid......

<hr></blockquote>

Do you see a problem with doing this? I can't just take one mainshaft out and put it in the other trans? Why not? Tease me... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif All you are doing is scareing me! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Can I do this, or am I getting myself in trouble? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME!???

JK

-Dan

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You have to remove the shifter before the top cover will come off. See that dome shaped piece of stamped steel right where the shifter comes out of the tranny? Press it down and rotate it 1/4-turn to the left. Then the shifter should lift right out of the cover. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

The tranny needs to be in neutral to re-install the shifter. Each shift block has a rectangular notch in it. Line them up so that each block is centered and the notches line up to form a square. Then the shifter will drop right back into place.

On yeah, 465's will get stuck between gears like that if you try to speed shift them. I'll let you guess at how I found this out. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

19. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Harry
    "You have to remove the shifter before the top cover will come off"
    Just curious, Why do you say that? I have taken quite a few covers off with the shifter in place. It actually gives you something to hold on to and pull the cover off.
    Russ

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Mine wouldn't come off with the shifter installed. Of course, it was stuck between gears at the time, just like this one seems to be. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif