Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking the Dash Pad Off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Jun 16, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i did it before, about this time last year

but im going to put a pair of speakers up there and need to get it off there...

what steps do i have to go through to do this?

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Remove the instrument bezel first by taking all the screws out of it. You will have to remove the lower plastic piece under the steering column most likely. You will probably also have to remove the headlight knob. If you don't, you may not get the instrument bezel far enough out of the way. But it might be possible to leave the light knob on and just pull the bezel back. The knob is held on by either a pressure clip that you can release with a sharp pointed tool, or a small screw/hex nut. The same screws that secure the top of the instrument bezel secure the left side of the dash. There should be 3-4 around the instrument cluster and 3-4 on the straight edge over the right side. After removing all the screws, you should be able to lift the front edge of the dash up. Then pull it towards you. The back is secured in the dash with clips that slide into holes in the sheet metal. Make sure that there are no screws into the sheet metal from the dash insert on the right side as well. Even when every screw is taken out, it will feel like you are doing it wrong but it will come out. If it's been there a while, it will stick a bit.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Take off your instrument panel bezel first. Then running along the bottom of the pad going to towards the passenger side there are a few fasteners holding it in. On mine theres a screw on the right side of the dash, you can only get to it with the door open.

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

my last truck when i did this i got pissed and just jammed a hole in the dash pad and set the speakers in there, lol

5. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status