Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking the grill off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

May 29, 2001
    I'm putting on a tranny cooler in front of the A/C condenser and would like to know if you guys have any tricks for unbolting the grill. I've got a Hickey tube grill and the hardware that they supplied utilized the square nuts (not hex nuts) making it more of a pain to work with. It's just too tight to get my arm all the way up there from underneath. Even if I could I couldn't turn the screws with a screwdriver. Can't turn the square nuts either cuz of the tubes in the grill. I figured I could drill some holes on the radiator cross member to get a tool in there from the rear but the way the metal is folded it will limit my reach plus the radiator gets in the way. I had my little nephew with me when we put the grill on so he could reach up there and hold things while I tighten it all down. Any ideas?

Stuck is a state of mind!

76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked
  2. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Jan 1, 2001
    if it came down to it you could unbolt the radiator and AC core and reach around. I;d say it would be better than cutting eye soring holes. Once you get it off replace the square nuts with hex ones too.
    My two sense,

You call that dirty!?