Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking the K5 in... Anyone know a Mechanic? (update)

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Topdown, May 20, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Well, I have finally broken. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I will be calling shops today to find somewhere to take the K5 to get it running right.

With the new engine I cant seem to get it to run correctly at idle. it runs like a striped a$$ ape when up to speed, but wont idle & dies at stop lights. No apparent vac. leaks. (Someone told me I needed a new torque converter)

Essentially I have cut the sh!t out of my hands and lost enough sleep enough on this particular project and am throwing in the towel.

So, if anyone knows a good mechanic/shop or is a good mechanic that wants to make a little $$ let me know...

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Taking the K5 in... Anyone know a Mechanic?

Well i know of an excellent mechanic that is realitively inexpensive, but he might be a bit far for you, down near wilsonville...I can pm you his number if you want?

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I can fix it, but theres no tellin how many beers it would take.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Well fumes, I would buy you a keg... or two of whatever kind of beer you want if you can get that pig-f*cker running, idling, driving, shifting, etc... right. hell, I will dig a f*cking hole in my front yard, roast a pig and throw a CK5 NW Party if one of you could get it running right...

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

one thing to check...if I remember right, the distributor can be installed 180deg. off... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Dang, I would have been happy to help out when I was in town a few weeks ago for just the cost of parts.

I suppose you are pretty busy with Gavin these days (where are the pictures?)

I've got gaskets, carbs + parts, ignitions and probably anything we would need to get it running right ........ too bad I'm 3 hours away!

What all have you tried? I know you were chasing down suspected vacuum leaks, did you find any? Have you tried the "Hand over the carb" trick yet? (put your hand over the carb while idling and slowly seal it off ... if the engine speeds up before dying, you have a vacuum leak.)

If you can afford the time, you may want to just go pick up new intake gaskets and R&R your intake manifold. While you have it all apart, you might as well replace all the vacuum lines since they are so cheap. That would be much cheaper than dropping it off someplace.

7. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

pics are coming soon... I finally have them, just need to post them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for what have I done so far:
    replaced all my vac lines (except the hard line to the tranny)
    replaced the gasket under the carb
    replaced the carb
    "tuned" the carb some - very little actually as I know d!ck about them
    used starter fluid to check for leaks around intake
    took off and plugged all vac holes/hoses/lines

It just acts funny. it will idle in park at 1500 rpm for 5 minutes, then just sputter and die. It diesels when I shut it down (probably because of the idle) it does not want to idle at all with the choke on. When idling it will fluctuate a few hundred rpm (set idle at 2000 it will raise to 2200 then drop to 1500 then level out at 1800 then lower to 1400 then raise to 1600 then raise to 2000 then drop to 1600 - all in the course of 5 minutes before it sputters and dies)

Then when I shift it into gear it immediately dies as soon as load is put on it. if you feather the gas you can keep it running but if you hold the gas in to 2000 rpm it will die. This I can potentially see as a torque converter issue... maybe. I see it more likely a result of some other problem.

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well I know of no people in Or. that fix stuff.........However I do have some talent in this field /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If you want to tackle this yourself, there are some checks that will really help out in diag. your issues. If you want to know what you can do let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I don't know what tools you have but I think I can walk you throgh some of the stuff. A few things to check that I didn't see listed are timing (valve and ignition) and what your vacume reading is at the intake manifold. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I am all ears man. I have just about every tool ever needed to work on a GM vehicle (benefits of both Father and son working for GM)

So, hit me with what you got.

As for checking manifold vacuum... where to I test that? I know I need to use a vac gauge but where do I plug it in? What port do I test?

I know that with the cam that I have vac is quite low at idle... so any leak would be enough to cause a problem.

10. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I get off work between 4-5pm, if you want to Work on it tonight, i could cruise over there, and maybe i can bring my buddy, that always seems to figure [naughty word] out when i cant, and we can try and see whats doin..... my cell is 544-4617, gimme a call....

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Well Guinness is expensive and I'm not even remotely capable of actually fixing it, but I'll give it a try....Let me know when the keg shows up.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well Guinness is expensive and I'm not even remotely capable of actually fixing it, but I'll give it a try....Let me know when the keg shows up.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

You are checking for tons of issues with a vacume reading. It will give us a good base line to get started. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Where your brake booster hooks up to the intake is a good place, just about any fitting on the manifold is a good place. You want to stay away from the carb. as some of those fittings are not true manifold fittings.
    I want to know two things, is the needle steady (if so at what reading) or does the needle jump around (if so what does it go between) Some preliminary checks for you to do is this (I'm starting with ignorance as I know not your skills) Roll the motor over until you get the balancer to read top dead center, now this fools alot of people the balancer will read TDC twice during the firing cycle. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Which is why alot of people get the distrubitor in at 180 off. So what I would like for you to do is take your drivers side valve cover off and see when your #1 valves are at 0 lash and the mark comes up on your balancer. Then take your dist. cap off and see where the ignition rotor is pointed, it should be pointing toward the front of the truck on a small block Chev. If its pointed anywhere else you have an issue. If everything checkes out OK, then button it up and tell me what your vac. readings are. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Also what are your cam specs? Also where is your vac. advance hooked up to? Does it back fire at all?

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Comp Cams Extreme energy hydraulic cam - summit - CL12-242-2 (268/280 duration, 224/230 @ .050, .477/.480 lift - .508/.512 with the 1.6 rockers)

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the cam he is using

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    It just acts funny. it will idle in park at 1500 rpm for 5 minutes, then just sputter and die. It diesels when I shut it down (probably because of the idle) it does not want to idle at all with the choke on. When idling it will fluctuate a few hundred rpm (set idle at 2000 it will raise to 2200 then drop to 1500 then level out at 1800 then lower to 1400 then raise to 1600 then raise to 2000 then drop to 1600 - all in the course of 5 minutes before it sputters and dies)

[/ QUOTE ]
    i still think it is a intake leak mine did everything you just said i replaced the intake gasket and it runs better now then when i bought it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif try with it running cupping your hands over the carb if it Rev's up you have a vacuum leak if it just dies its something else

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Don't listen to him Ryan, just go order the keg... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

lol

18. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I will try the hand-cup thing. I didnt get any reaction from starter fluid but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

-Ryan

19. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I didn't get any reaction from starter fluid but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

[/ QUOTE ] very true it could be in the front or rear of the intake /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif also just for shits and giggles try putting the edelbrock carb on just to see if it will idle with it on

20. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

runs the same with the edelbrock as the holley... which is why i bought the holley, I was told that the carb was bad, needing a rebuild/rejet or some such apparent garbage.

Thats the last time I listen to a female mechanic... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

See what happens... you go and try to give everyone an equal opportunity and the females still end up costing you $400.00 ... and I didnt even get a kiss.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif