Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking the time to maintain your truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Aug 15, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

In the last couple of years or so since I've been coming to CK5, I can't count how many posts I've seen with the question of how do I figure my gear ratio without counting the teeth, because I don't want to take the cover off.
    This is driving me crazy. Not only is it real easy to do, but it needs to be done. Most of the members asking have just bought the truck and thats why they don't know. More than likely, the previous owner didn't like popping the cover off either and the gear lube is about 100 years older than it should be. So please, instead of taking a shortcut, just take the cover off and do it that way, because the fluid probably needs changing anyway. The first thing I did when I bought my Blazer was change out ALL of the fluids. I don't see why people avoid this so much...gear lube smells funny, but its an easy job and doesn't take that long.
    OK, done ranting...

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

It's not as big of a PIA as most think. It was also nice "down" time. It's not hard to do, but you know the truck really appreciates it.

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

4. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

First thing I did when I got my Blazer, partially because it was whizzing gear oil on the driveway...but it was pretty easy and clean.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yup just a lil smelly and it's one of the most over looked maintenance.

6. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah that was the first thing I did when my truck was on the road.

Stuck? Isn't that a bird!
    Steve

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not a single drop of fluid in my truck that came in it. Both axles are even different. Soon the 700R4/NP 208 will be gone for a 465/205. Motor is a different one.

Seems since I've swapped my entire driveline minus tranny/transfer as of now I guess it should be a given that there isn't any fluid in it that's the same. But I did flush and service the tranny and drain and refil the 'case already.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I always do a complete lube and fluids change on any used vehicle i have ever bought. Just for the peace of mind knowing what exactly is in it. Who knows what the previous owners put in or didn't put in it. It is also a great way to truly find out the condition of the componits. Always inspect the fluids for metal shavings, broken teeth, or other signes of wear. That way you can do needed repairs and hopefully avoid some of those bad used vehicle mechanical suprises on the trail.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 08/16/01 02:31 PM.</FONT></P>

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Also for some of you newbee's, the general rule of manitance/repair is for every hour 4 Wheeling
    2 hours repair/mantanice.
    So if your on a low budget, plan accoringly.