Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking the top off/Rear seat belts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 27, 2000.

Hello everybody. Thanks for all the responses to my question a while back about the manual trannies. I decided on an automatic '90 K5. I didn't have the patience to wait for the stick!

A quick question about taking the top off/rear selt belts. Right now my rear shoulder belts connect to the roof of the back. Obviously I can't take the top off like that. I don't have the detachable shoulder belts like I read in the manual. What is the best way to fix this problem?

Also, where can I get the cracked out screwdriver to take out the bolts in the back?

Thanks

1. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Surely the belts will unblot from the top. I assume this will make them inoperable, but at least your top is off!
    I have no idea what you're talking about...."cracked out screwdriver"???? Anyone else.......

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about a "Torx" drive bit? Don't forget about the two that come up in the very back you'll have to un-screw the side panel to get this the first time and I just never put those ones back in!!!!

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

3. Sorry about the poor description. It sorta looks like a hex screw, but it has 6 points on the perimeter and a raised point in the middle. So the screwdriver has to have a hole in the middle of it with six points around the edge.

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The part you describe is a Torx bit. Since your bit needs the hole in the middle then its a "Security Torx." I install car stereos and when I got my job I had a difficult time finding the security Torx bits. There weren't any Craftsman ones at Sears...I couldn't believe it. I'm probably going to eventually get a set from Snap-On. Find out the size you need and try www.partsexpress.com. If they don't list them on the website, call the 800 number, because I know they stock them and their bits are dirt cheap. AND...you can buy them individually. Good luck dude.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Apparently GM was trying to disuade people from taking the tops off on the newer K5's. For the bolts, the local Mac Tools dealer had the proper tool. They list it as a "tamper proof torx" and I bought one with a 3/8" drive socket adaptor to use with a ratchet. For the rear seatbelts, the plastic cover over the ratcheting mechanism on the roof will pop off on one side (it's kindof hinged on the other side so it won't come completely off), then there are just two bolts to take off......pretty simply.

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

first off, the shoulder belts are mounted to the non-removable cab portion of the top. no worries there.
    second off, the tool (torx security, whatever) are available at damn near any auto parts store. i've gone through three per season on average.
    don't forget the bolts behind the rear side panels, remove them for good the first time you take the top off. they are superfluous.
    flip the rear seat all the way forward, and it will help with the wind.
    when you put the top back on, hand-tighten the bolts to the roof before you install the bolts to the bed-sides.
    most importantly, look upon non-convertible rigs with disdain.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

7. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

Hey Delta, you had me thinking, but I went back and re-read the original post: he's talking REAR shoulder belts. Ours don't have them, and I can't even picture what they look like. jsausman, you might want to look into converting your rear belts to just lap belts if you really want to go convert. My '90 has lap belts, check out the local wrecking yard, or pri$e them out at the dealer [sad]

Good luck

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

About the rear seatbelts with shoulder harnesses, I'm thinking I saw someplace that they were optional. I guess this makes since my '90 has them but it seems as if some don't.........

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The torx set can be baught at Pep boys.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

On the tamperproof torx thing, I couldn't find a wrench that I wanted either, I ended up using a pair of vise-grips to get them out. From there I went to the hardware store and bought some regular bolts to use. A freind of mine took a drill and drilled all the little points out of the middle so that he could use a regular torx bit.

Kyle
    89K5

11. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

wanna trade your shoulder set-up for my lap-belt set-up?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

12. Thanks for that info. That's exactly what it was. I finally figured it out right before I got your message. Any suggestions on a place/way to get lap belts to swap in for the shoulder belts, especially the convertable lap to shoulder belt assembly?