Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

taking the top off??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82K5_6.5L, Mar 11, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

its getting hot out and i want to take the top off my blazer, my neighbor has a Jimmy and never takes his off because he says when u take it off it never seals right and leaks..is this true? anyways i dont care, still gonna do it anyways..!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I've had mine on and off a dozen times with no leaks. As long as the weatherstip is still in good shape where it seals, you shouldn't have a problem.

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

aren't we supposed to chant, "show your seats!" or something like that?

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

If a Blazer's top wasn't supposed to come off then they wouldn't have made it removable. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Mine is off more than it's on during the warmer months. Take it off and enjoy.

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Like many other people here my top is off the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif on a regular basis /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. It is still using the factory weather stripping and seals with ZERO leaks. The key to getting a proper seal is when you put it back on make sure to park on a level surface (to prevent body flex) and tighten down all of the bolts against the back of the cab before tightening any of the bolts on the bedrails. P.S., be sure that once you take the top off to tell your neighbor he is a wanker /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

According to my '77 GM service manual, when removing the top on a K5 you should fabricate 2 braces 72"s long withn 3/8"s holes at 63"s apart. these braces should be attached at the front and rear of the top to keep the sides from flexing while the top is off the truck. they recomend using square aluminum tubing for the support braces. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. wa_jeeper

wa_jeeper Registered Member

Since I've been down here in Texas, the top of my K5 is in the garage at least 8 months out of the year. And I don't have any leakage problems... yet.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    According to my '77 GM service manual, when removing the top on a K5 you should fabricate 2 braces 72"s long withn 3/8"s holes at 63"s apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my K5 owners manuals had the same thing in it. The problem is, you would have to break to top to fasten it to the bolt holes only 63 inches apart. The correct measurement is 68 inches. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

definatly take it off! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

82K5, I shoot my seals really well with 409 or windex brfore I pop the lid. It gets them wet and they don't have a tendancy to tear. I do the same when I replace it too. Be sure to get the bolts from the bottom of the lid in the rear too!!!! Very important. IO saw you signed up on WheelingArizona, now come in and say hi. Theres a trip to Martinez this weekend. I'm not going but I may sneak off to Reddington for a little bit.

11. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

taken mine off a dozen times in the last 2 years with no leaks, if you get a bunch of rattles with it off try putting the bolts back in the retainers tend to rattle around