Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Talk about a @$^*^$ -up day! * UPDATE*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trouble1, Oct 18, 2002.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

My house burned up yesterday evening, and my Blazer was in the Garage! I'm now in a motel room, with freaking almost nothin. And no, I did not have renters insurance...and yes, I do realize I should have! Anyway, has anyone here rebuilt a burned up Blazer B-4? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Anyway...for those of you trying to call me and can't get through.....now you know why /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Thanks everyone....y'all way to nice.....
    Ok, so I went through the Blazer today to see what the final score was...The fire won...but here it goes. Listed are the Damged parts unless otherwise stated.
    OUTSIDE:
    -Paint...I'm thinking primer grey for a while
    -Sheetmetal looks fine, not warped. I replaced a bunch of it last year and got the best I could and herculinered anything that was not getting painted. I think that might have saved me.( all i was trying to do was avoid future rust problems, but hey!!!it works for me)
    -Tires
    -Rims
    -Brake Pads...But get this, the Calipers still open and close fine /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    -Roof Rack...custom made from EMT...cant say enough about the stuff...wipe off the soot, and it looks like new. Cant say the same for the tire that was mounted on it.
    -Haard Shell- Did Fine
    INTERIOR
    Did really well...all I have to replace are the seats, doorpanels, carpet, headliner, dash, gauges(just installed all new auto-meters last month), steering wheel and the rear side panels. Other than that...the interior looks really good /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    UNDER THE HOOD
    Believe it or not...looks extreamly good. Lots of soot, but it wasb somehow protected. I'll replace all the fluids, filters and hoses, clean the carb, and cross my fingers.

Thanks for all your support and I'm sure you will find a bunch of posts in here as I'm trying to put it back together. Its my only set of wheels, so I got to get her up and running pretty quickly. $69.00 a day for a rental car will get old real quick! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

Re: Talk about a @$^*^$ -up day!

Sorry to hear about your losses Trouble... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    At least you are ok... almost everything material can eventually be replaced. You can't dwell on the irreplacable to long, besides, it won't bring it back.
    Best of luck rebuilding your Blazer if that's what you decide to do. You may want to use it as a parts truck instead???

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Man sorry to hear it, that really sucks.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Sorry to hear that...Hope everything turns out for the better. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

How burned up?
    That sucks !
    good luck with it.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wow..i dont know what to say, but best of luck, if theres any way me or anyone can possibly help feel free to ask! good luck again! i wouldnt worry bout the blazer first though, make sure you take care of the really important things first.

7. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Donor? Damn, shes part of the family....She gets put back together! Not sure how bad she is yet...I know all the rubber, plastic and vinyl parts are, well, "toast". I really should have thought and got her out first, but i was trying to save the house. I had no clue a fire could spread so quick. On a good note, all the spare peices parts I've been collecting for her I had in the shed, so they are fine. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Damn! That really sucks! Glad to hear that you're OK, but it's a real bummer that all your stuff is gone. ( NOTE TO OTHER RENTERS: Renters insurance is CHEAP! For around $10/month you can get coverage for most of your stuff!!!!! Too late for Trouble1, but perhaps this will get others to think about it...) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Burned vehicles are seldom worth restoring. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Interior parts are hard to find used and cost a bunch of cash new. If the plastic parts are melted, then the wiring insulation is probably all melted also. This means a lot of rewiring, possibly even a whole new wiring harness. I'm guessing that the paint is also damaged. This is another expensive fix. If the paint totally burned off, then the sheet metal probably got hot enough to warp. The only fix for that is replacement parts. I think your best bet would be to find another Blazer that is in decent shape and then use the burned truck as a parts truck. Between it and the stuff in your shed you could build a nice ride. Hopefully your rig isn't burned too badly, but if it is, then it's really best to move on... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Sorry too hear about the misfortune! Try http://mandydyer.com/
    She has done the rewire of engine fire if that helps?
    Sorry and I hope things get better in the immediate future!
    Bill

10. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thanks tweety /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry to hear about your losses trouble 1 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif . Renters Insurance is important but most people do not think about it until something happens. I am going to call on it Monday but only becuase your post is a good reminder.

Can you take some pictures so we can see how bad it is? I would say it can be rebuilt. My z71 was the second fire rebuild. I did one other on with my dad on his toyota pickup which included the entire interior, and most of the wireing inside and out. (I will dig up some pictures) So it can be done. The truck is obviously very important to you. If you are willing to put in the time you will defiantly be able to make her all better. Don't give up hope yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I do know its not totally impossible cause a freind of mine in Ms. had his '69 Z28 in his garage when his house went up and he got it restored somehow! So there is hope if there is the will!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifBill

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

just take things one thing at a time..my blazer is not burnt up..but needs a whole new floor and other things and i got some work ahead of me..and im just going to take my time at it and do one thing at a time..you got lotsa help right here!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif