Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Talk about gutless

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I just put a used GM Goodwrench 350 in a '77 Crew Cab 4x4. The truck is HEAVY, but I'd have figured the 4.56 gears in the rear and the only 29" tall tires would still allow it to tow ok.

On short hills, I'd go from near 60mph and 3500 RPM to just under 40 mph before I'd even reach halfway up the hills (like 1/2 mile long hills if that). And that's floored.

The motor runs excellent, but it just doesn't seem to like pulling a huge load around. Coming back home w/out the trailer, it was able to maintain speeds up the hills floored.

I guess I've taken my big blocks for granted. My "slug" of an '81 Crew Cab doesn't seem so sluggish now.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you sure the timing is set right on??--sounds like it might be a little late.It shouldn't be that sluggish,although I have ridden in a few ramps trucks(homemade beavertail rigs)that acted that way,just from sheer weight--if the truck weighs more than 7000 lbs you wont get sparkling performance with a small block unless its a 400 or built up quite a bit--the long stroke of the big block cant be beaten for pure towing tourque,the only thing that comes close is a diesel.
    I thought when I saw this posts title it was going to be related to the 402 motorhome you just got the other day! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (nice score by the way--wish it was in my yard!)
    but dont be suprised if thats not a dragster either,even with the 402,its still a heavy beast!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ive got one too. A new one in fact. It is gutless POS too. Very displeased with it. I could have spent the money on a qualty rebuild. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the poor thing has less then 8:1 compression
    what do you expect?

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

And no cam timing to boot. I've got one in my Sub. No power, no mileage. Could live one or the other, but not both.
    Best option is to put a set of Vortec iron heads on it and re-cam it at the same time. I'd do a new timing chain as well. Just in case what's in there has retarded cam timing built in.

6. mountainexplorer

Actually, the 25 foot motorhome with the 402, despite it's backfiring through the carb everytime I gave it gas with a load on it (either sticking lifter or valve or the points are acting up) still felt like it had more guts than the crew cab.

It runs just fine, as long as it's driven like you're not in a hurry at all. Pretty much whether you floor it or not, it doesn't change much (and yes, the secondaries on the Q-jet are opening).

I just hate to think what it's going to be like once I swap the 4.10 rear under it and the 31" tall tires.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh well--you could always put a 502 in it,or a caddy motor!.But even the big block trucks arent really that much better once you get in the 7000+lb range--thats a lot of weight for any motor to pull around at highway speeds.
    You arent the first person I've heard complaining about those "Mr.Goodwrench"(Hencho En Mexico) replacement motors as far as power--a few guys I know who bought one had a lot of problems with them at low mileage--one even rapped right out of the crate!!--he took the oilpan off and the #1 rod bearing cap had only 1 bolt in it--the other one was at the bottom of the pan! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif--GM gave him another motor,but not one cent towards his labor or parts--he said he will never buy another factory motor--he's had better luck with junkyard motors!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. mountainexplorer

The truck used to have a .060 over 396 in it with domed pistons and semi-closed chamber heads, but I didn't get to drive it much cause that motor was on it's last leg (but I could still power brake it with it being a Dually). I pulled that out, and put this 350 in it to re-sell the truck.

The Goodwrench 350 didn't cost me anything. I pulled it out of another truck, and that truck already paid for itself plus gave me $60 profit plus the motor, 465/205 for free.

The truck also has a massive front bumper (probably worth more in scrap weight than as a bumper), and a Utility Bed on it.

My '81 Crew Cab with a 454 has always been sluggish to me, but with 4.10 gears and 35's towing similar loads, I can nearly maintain 55-60mph all the time up hills. And even with it kinda having a miss right now, I was driving it empty the other day and accidentally broke the rear tires loose on pavement a couple times (ok, the 1st time was accident, the 2nd wasn't /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)