Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

talk about hardcore!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Jun 30, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Wow...

Rene

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hmmmmm okk

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Other than the negative arch front springs , and not having any axle locating aparatus , its kinda cool .

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ugly as all get-out... but I'm mad jealous of his jackstands!!! lol!

j

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll be the first to say it: that guy has more time on his hands than he does brains.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree.

8. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

To each his own....:eek1:

9. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

looks like one of those jungle-gym cars you see at kids playgrounds, only someone added real wheels and a motor

10. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

instead of triangulation, its rectangulation... but I can't say anything, as I don't have Any tube work experience myself :o

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Looks to me like all stock springs and such which would clearly hurt articulation and his capablitys offroad. But Id have to say its cool he built that. And if hes having fun with it, no real downside. Im sure Ill get hazed by you guys when my trucks done and I dont want any trailrash on my sheetmetal

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i noticed in the thread he mentioned a "tool sale bender" and "pipe" i bet its all SCH40

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Got to give the guy credit...

I kinda like that thing!..sure,its not a "pro built" buggy,but the guy is having fun,and he DID finish it,which is more than many guys who set out building something like that do!...many folks here buy a trashed 4x4 pickup or K5 and do like he did,only they use them to plow their driveways,not so much an "off road" rig..(limited areas where one could be used around here--even kids with ATV's are having a hard time finding a place to ride around here)...

I'm sure he could have built some things better,and differently..he had a few good ideas like the "ladder" and "door" combo unit..looks like he's having just as much fun playing with his buggy as anyone else is in his pictures..thats all that really matters,in my opinion..Its easy to critisize others ways of building something..actually DOING it is another!--I'm willing to bet many of the "critics" couldn't do any better themselves....:crazy:

14. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

There's no way I would have the skills to do as good as he did, and I would drive/wheel it in a heartbeat. I admire the guy for building it, but there are definitely alot better tube buggies out there. Personally, I'm a fan of sheetmetal :D

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you guys are completely missing something...

inferior materials and lack of proper cage geometry. one flop, and that thing is done for, yet he's taking his family out wheeling in it.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Using sched 40 it'd be safe in a flop. Wall thickness is close to .200" so it isn't gonna fold like a cheap tent. A high speed roll would be something different, but i highly doubt it'd ever see more than 40 mph anyways.

If he'd used conduit I'd be worried...:rolleyes:

Rene

17. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

At least it's built not bought. Something alot of people are getting away from. He built it all himself, not calling companies to get the stuff and then bolting it on. I am a little worried about that long halo with no bracing. but that's an easy fix. Looks like a fun build done on a budget.:waytogo:

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

scedule 40 pipe IS pretty strong!!..

I agree that schedule 40 pipe is some hefty stuff!...they also make
    schedule 80 pipe!!..I bet that buggys"cage" is as strong as a stock pickup cab at the very least,despite its lack of triangulation...I'd be more worried about getting tossed out of it,and having it land on top of you, than getting hurt in a roll-over in it...

You guys would cringe at the "ice races" we have here in New England,if that buggy scares you!..the "cages" they use in them are often just pipe,not even schedule 40!--and they get T-boned at 70+ mph,and its rare for anyone to get injured...they roll over once in a while too..most of them just get flopped back over and go back to racing after a crash...:p:

We actually built a go-cart from electrical conduit at the junkyard one winter when we were bored,and had a junked step-van come in full of electrical condiut and other electricians goodies!..and we BRAZED it together with the oxyaxcetalyne torches! (all we had at the time!)...:eek1:

I was very suprised how strong it was--my co-worker was mostly the one who "engineered" it--it was a clone of a Honda Oddesy,it was more like a sand rail than a go-cart..it was only 1/2" and 3/4" conduit,but he used lots of triangles and gussets where it counted..I found a 8 hp Airens sno-blower in another junked pickup trucks bed,and I got it to run again--soon we were having "races" in the huge quonset garage!--we hit some immoveable objects pretty hard with it,and I was impressed at how little damage it got considering the impacts..we rolled it over at least a dozen times outside!!:doah: --I appreciated the full cage then!...to my suprise,the conduit wasn't quite as weak as I though it'd be...I wouldnt use it for a roll bar or cage on a 4x4 though...:rolleyes: ..

19. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My MF tractor is purdier.........:wink1:

20. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

looks aren't that great but its allright