Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Talk me into keeping my 77 burb

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by norville, Dec 29, 2006.

1. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    Well folks I guess I'm more on the fence about this than I thought. I have a 77 k20 silverado burb, Loaded with all options but PW/PL with only 67k miles. It's ready to be registered and run 400/350/203. The wife hates it to big , bad on gas, ugly bla,bla,

I feared when I bought it It would be to big, but I pressed on.

I started looking for blazers but what I can swing $$ I'd be starting all over. I found a 90 blazer for $600 need rockers paint exhaust. I hate to part the burb, a local buddy wants the drivetrain I told him $700 for the motor to the axles. And I'll try to part out the rest. Just seems a shame.

Talk to be burb buddies. Should I keep the sub-marine, are we a blazer world?

bob

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well define too big... are you talking width, height or length?

mud, rocks, trails????

My 78 fullsize does me fine... Hell im gonna put a crew cab on my truck hopefully in february.. if not this summer..... take bed off....put cab on, cut bed to fit....

there are scores out there that you can find... around here I bought a 1979 K30 with
    305/t350/np205/d60/14bff/4.10's - 3" bl, 4" susp, 38's, rollbar, factory tach, dual tanks, new rad, alternator, and a slew of other parts I took off of it... oh yeah it was fully running... $500 :wink1:

I dont pay much for stuff and seem to always find some kind of deal...

a bud of mine just bought a 1998 ferd turbo diesel F350 for $1700... it was rolled... but he got a f250 donor for body.....that should be here in a week.. so $$2500 later and he will be sittin perdy.....

I look at it this way.. you OWN what you got... can you make it work for you? if not get rid of it.. I WILL NEVER GET RID OF MINE!!!! had it since 1989...
    came off the road in 1997 and got 12" susp lift and 3" body lift.. going with rockwells and 53's and nj changed their lift laws.. thus truck sat till 2004..... came back down and all done....

3. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

Width is not an issue nor length for me. I think it "looks" to big for her. I think her van is about 6" shorter. This will be my daily driver.

I'm a novice welder. Is a burbalanche out of the question?? I want it to look presentable. I searched but most of the pics are not there anymore.

I have a 4" lift and 35's ready to go on it.

I find tons of good deals if I had the land/money I'd have a junkyard out back.

bob

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

you know I was thinking the burbalanch too..... :haha:

well if it LOOKS too big.... the question is does a 4 door pickup look too big?

if not.... cut the back of that burb off and make a bed out of the back and id say a burbalanch would rock :bow:

I had to ask how were you too big as in 1997 my truck went up on 12" lift and 3" bl and I was planning rockwells and 53" michellins... nj changed their lift laws and in 2004 I dropped alot of green.. lowered the truck.. new tires, lockers, gears, etc... and got her done..... I go in the woods right now and dayum... im almost too high in the trails... so imagine if I had what I was planning!!!!!!!!!!

5. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

Most of my trail riging is in to my huntin stand an back. I'm really tempted to to chop it. I just don't want to do it half-azzed. The cleanest look would be to graft on the back part of a pickup cab. I'm just not sure if I have the attention span for that?? :)

I was hoping for better wright ups on doing this. I have decent barn doors so I hate to chop'em. but that just adds more work putting in a pickup tailgate. Hmmm can the tailgate studs be welded/bolted in insted of replacing the rear support?????

got me thinking

bob

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

There are some that think that a Burb is too long. I guess that it depends on what you do with it. I can haul more gear, sleep comfortably and get just about anywhere that a Blazer can. There have been very few situations (think switchbacks in AZ) that I thought I would rather have a Blazer.\

As for gas mileage, it will suck just as bad in a Blazer. But for the same mileage, I can bring 4 guys comfortably out and back again. Along with all of their gear. Try that in a Blazer.

7. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

I keep looking at this 90 blazer near me. lifted, needs rockers $600.

I have a difficult time making decisions:(

I borrowed my fathers longbed extended cab 95 truck. I must say very difficult parking and the turning radius blows. but I love that cadillac ride. Biggest turn off and I'm not sure if the blazer is better or worse. I had to get the kids outta their seats while sleeping. I basicly had to drag the 5yr old out over the front seats. I know that won't be an issue with the burb.

What kinda weight difference is there blazer / burb 6-700Lbs???

Thanks for the sounding board guy's

bob

8. cbbr

Weight difference is probably more like 1500lbs. But that has not been a big deal for me. I am going to 4.56's soon which will cure the 37" tire drag problem.

As far as kids go, the back doors are perfect. I had a 2 door Tahoe whith 1 child and it was much more difficult. Now with 3, I cant imagine. Plus, I can haul a whole troop of cub scouts to a campground.:D

9. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I'll trade you my '77 Blazer. I just want my drivetrain. :wink1: I was looking for a Burb when I got this, but got to good of a deal on it. I still browse for a cheap Burb to swap everything over to.

10. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

I'm in Pa, aren't you one of those southern boy's :) If you want'ed to drive up here. I'd chip in for gas.

bob

11. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Do what makes you happy. The extra size is nice to have, people have sucessfully put removable Blazer tops on the cargo area of subs, but it takes lots of work. For the kind of wheeling you do, a burb should be fine. The difference in economy is going to be small between Sub and Blazer, what's the weight difference, a thousand pounds. Not sure how much you've got in it, you could always part it, or whatever. If you really want a Blazer, get one. A 4" and 35's will make a huge difference in looks and perfomance. Wheelbase is your friend. For me, it's a tough decision because I like them all, but in the end, I'm a truck guy. Now that I have a truck, I can start my search for a Blazer or Burb. If economy is a large factor, I would look for a 87-91 Blazer or Burb. The OD and FI are the only ways to get any economy out of these big beasts.

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I bought an S15 in 1985, but I had points on my driving record+comprehensive insurance was going through the roof, while I was riding MC to work. So I sold the truck, and instantly regretted it.
    So then much later I bought the Burb. You can't beat it if its paid for. Yeah I have to zigzag more in the switchbacks, but I also sleep in it while everybody else is sleeping on the ground. It also hauls plywood sheets, in the rain. Get your insurance rep. to classify it as recreational, as in RV, should bring the insurance way down. And yeah, four people easy, six freindly people, but no way nine people over lift and no sway bar.:D

13. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

77 is the only year for the mustard stripe on the sides. i had my 77 swb and i regret ever selling it. i had the origional spare tire to it and man was it cherry. i say keep it, i dont know where paragon is but if its rusty up there repair it for a few bucks and have a nice burb and a rare survivor. thats what i would do.

14. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

Paragon is in the north east. Rustylvannnia The rig had undercoating on it and the rear barn doors leaked for years. The rear floor was gone. Fixed now. Well It looks like I may have to run it anyway. I can't seem to scratch up enough cash to get something decent. Maybe if I can get away with dropping $200 inspection and reg and run it for the winter and decide in the spring. I can get the lift and 35's on for another $200. I just hate putting $$ into a truck then dumping weeks later.

I know me I'm itching. I love the look of a blazer w/4: and 34's or more so a wagoneer with a 6" and 33's

bob

15. cbbr

Get 6 and 37's. You will like the look. Balanced the Burb just right IMO.

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Or 4 and 35s:haha:. I just finished my 4" (w 35s) so I need to update my pics.:haha:

17. cbbr

Also a good look. BTDT on the way to my current setup. Makes a Burb look soooooo much better. They are too long to be on stock tires.

18. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

dont get rid of your sub... if you do you just wont be cool anymore. and no one will like you. and you'll spend the rest of your life regretting it. did i mention no one will like you?

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

20. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

Thanks buds, I'm keeping it for now. I was gunna go no lift and 35's. but a local friend talked me into running the 4" I have here. All I need are the ubolts and spring eye bolts. Maybe a drop steering bracket. My plan is to "drive the sub untill I can afford a nicer vehicle" I says to the wife. Those new avalanches are nice @ about 30K + that'll take about 20yrs for me. :)

I discovered I will need to change the axle ujoints. and I put on the warn hubs while I'm in there and run it in Hi Lock.

muddysub, send me some pics so I can see what a "cool" sub looks like.

bob