Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

talk me out of building something

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by blazinzuk, Feb 26, 2007.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dec 20, 2002
    Okay the time has come for a new press, I have been doing alot of gear sets lately and my little harbor freight has seen better days.

so should I build or buy. If I buy I will be spending about 300 bucks after shipping and hanldling. I am pretty sure I could build a nice one for that. It needs to be a 20 ton press at least. I don't like the ones that harbor freight sells. There seems to be too much play in them.

Suggestion ideas and comments welcome
  2. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Aug 29, 2006
    I used to use a habour frieght 20 ton manual at my dads shop everyday. I got some down time and did some bracing and a added an air powered hydro ram. These simple upgrades made the press much easier to use and it didn't have near as much play after i got finshed with the bracing. If you keep and eye you can catch the 20 ton press on sale for 150 or and the add a 20% off coupon on top of that and walk out for somewhere near 130 for the press. Then pick up an air ram for about 80 on sale and then throw your 20% coupon on top and have a sweet air power 20 ton press for less that 250 and an hour or do of fab time and some scrap steel.
    Just my .02