Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Talk to me about CB, GMRS etc.

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by gjk5, Oct 26, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

My '72 has an old CB in it and the PO ripped the ant. off the side. I have a couple of GMRS radios that have 7-10 mile range. What is the benefit to putting a new CB in the rig? I am wondering if most people here use them to communicate with trail buddies or complete strangers. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $$$ to put one in or whether or not the GMRS would suffice for most people's uses. What is the effective range of a decent CB unit anyway?

I'm not bashing CB's by any means, just trying to get some information to base my decision on.

Thanks for any info.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Around here, alot of off roader use CB's for the trails, and I like too have one in the daily driver for (1.) Truckers let you know where the cops are, where accidents are, and where the idiot/drunk drivers are. (2.) BSing with the locals. (3.) Shooting alittle skip when I'm bored. I think they're worth having.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It makes things easier on the trail . Everyone should try to get one in there rigs . In AZ the clubs use channel 4 , and the core group of Ck5 guys use channel 10 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

The first trip I went on with a couple of CK5 members, I was the only one without a CB. I have one on my Christmas list now.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

OK after reading your responses, I think I'll get an OK CB to replace the old POS in there, it would be nice to have a way to contact other wheelers especially in case of an emergency, and I think others are probably more likely to have one than a GMRS laying around and turned on.

Besides, it'll give me the added benefit of not having to worry about plugging the gaping hole in my sheet metal (where the old ant. was), I'll just put an antenna there.

Now I just need to figure out how to fill the hole from the reserve tank that the PO THREW AWAY /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I guess I'll search around this forum for some ant. and CB unit suggestions.

Thanks!

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    OK after reading your responses, I think I'll get an OK CB to replace the old POS in there, it would be nice to have a way to contact other wheelers especially in case of an emergency, and I think others are probably more likely to have one than a GMRS laying around and turned on.

Besides, it'll give me the added benefit of not having to worry about plugging the gaping hole in my sheet metal (where the old ant. was), I'll just put an antenna there.

Now I just need to figure out how to fill the hole from the reserve tank that the PO THREW AWAY /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I guess I'll search around this forum for some ant. and CB unit suggestions.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ] Nothing wrong with a used CB if you want too go cheap. Lew sells both new and used radios. Ebay is also a good place too find used radios.