Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Talk to me about driveline angles and droop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Dec 3, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I need your inputs now that I have the 4" lift installed.
    After installing the rear flip, the u-joint angle looked really sharp at the xfercase so I lowered the case before I drove it. Didnt think the rearend could droop much before the u-joint binds up and brakes. Was this a good assumption?

The second problem I see is the front driveshaft.
    I had the driveshaft disconnected from the pinion so I could get the exhaust crossover moved down and install the shaft. After exhaust was fixed, I rotated the front shaft while it was drooped. It drooped pretty good 0 & 180 degrees but had to come way up at 45 & 90 degrees as its rotated. It also appears the xfercase drop in the rear makes the angle more severe for the front driveshaft/xfercase connection.

Since I just installed the ford towers and doestech shocks with swaybar disconnects I was hoping for some droop but am afraid im going to bust up the U/CV joints like this. Whats the solution...custom driveshafts or are there things that can be done to the stock ones so they pivot more or dont worry about it ?

Thanks

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The stock front CV joints have stops built into them. I need more angle than it has and im going to grind the stops off, if you wait till this weekend I will put some picture of the clearancing, the 52" front spring install, shock hoop building and 14" sway away and new bumper build and install.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The stock front CV joints have stops built into them. I need more angle than it has and im going to grind the stops off, if you wait till this weekend I will put some picture of the clearancing, the 52" front spring install, shock hoop building and 14" sway away and new bumper build and install.

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd that one! I ground all the stops off mine. Had to do it just to get mine to hook up!

It must not bind though, I haven't heard a peep out of it and I've never broken my front shaft despite trashing axle joints like they're made from paper.

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Ahhhh...so there are mods to the front shaft that can be made. Couldnt figure out why it drooped so well one way and hardly at all the other. Is the problem in the rear just vibe or does it bind too? Really dont like the xfercase drop. guess I could put it back to normal and see it it works.

Also...what are front driveshaft spacers used for and someone suggested to me using a cadillac CV joint in the rear /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif huh /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I doubt you need a CV(cadillac) shaft in the rear. Im running a basically stock shaft and I havent managed to break it yet and im almost positive i have more travel out of my rear suspension. I probably wont get a CV rear shaft till either I break my current one or i simply just run out of u joint angularity.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ahhhh...so there are mods to the front shaft that can be made. Couldnt figure out why it drooped so well one way and hardly at all the other. Is the problem in the rear just vibe or does it bind too? Really dont like the xfercase drop. guess I could put it back to normal and see it it works.

Also...what are front driveshaft spacers used for and someone suggested to me using a cadillac CV joint in the rear /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif huh /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A spacer just spaces the rear flange away from the flange on the t case 1" and pretends your driveshaft is 1" longer.

Forget the Cadilac CV, there are much better options than there were in the past for CV when people would run those.

I haven't managed to ever bind my rear joints, but my wheelbase is 10" or so longer than a K5 is and I only have a 6" lift. I also run 1350 joints in the rear.

[ QUOTE ]
    I doubt you need a CV(cadillac) shaft in the rear. Im running a basically stock shaft and I havent managed to break it yet and im almost positive i have more travel out of my rear suspension. I probably wont get a CV rear shaft till either I break my current one or i simply just run out of u joint angularity.

[/ QUOTE ]

A CV won't take any more angle unless its specifically designed for it or it uses bigger joints than your current shaft. CVs are not for angle, they're to keep vibe down. Bigger joints are for angle.