Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Talk to me about exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Aug 17, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I need some pointers on which way to go on exhaust system.
    My exhaust is currently broken off on both sides RIGHT NEXT TO THE TANK.

This is a '72 with 350/350 will soon have perf. intake and mild cam and a couple other bolt on goodies.

I am thinking headers and dual 2.25" or 2.5" with turbo mufflers. I currently have dual 2.5" and those damn cherry bombs which are too damn loud (not to mention pipes broken off at tank)

Any advice on specific brands or configurations would be appreciated, especially on the headers.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hooker headers, either 3" single or dual 2 1/2" pipes and some kind of large free flowing mufflers. Dynomax fully welded chamber type mufflers are free flowing and should be quiet enough. If you go duals, use a crossover pipe.

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

hmmm i dont know much about mufflers but i got 2 forea'flows and they sound just like my friends flowmasters. i have headersand true 2.5" dules.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Alright, after some calling around I got the following advice:

Headers: don't need 'em, and will only damage and have to replace. Also, two of them said the "ram horn" manifold that is stock on 1st gens was better anyway.

2.25" dual is plenty big for mild 350

Will put in crossover pipe for no extra charge, and better for low end torque.

This was 4 places, pretty much same opinion across the board.

And I've never heard this from a mechanic, but 2 of 'em said to just check and see if we can chop at the glass packs and replace muffler back to save some $$.

Total for complete new system: $295-$350
    Agree or disagree with all or part?

Also, is there a good source online to buy a complete system, I could install it I just can't find one local.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I disagree with the headers thing. Crappy headers will leak, if not maintained. Thats the only reason exhaust shops don't want to put them on. No one wants to maintain headers like they should. They know that and they know they will be blamed for blown exhaust gaskets and leaks. Ram horns are the best FACTORY option, even cheap headers(long tubes mind you) will make more power than ram horns.

2.25 is what I would run on a very mild small block. 2.5 is really more than neccessary.

Crossover is a good idea.

Don't get turbo mufflers, they are a waste and what a lot of exhaust shops(in my experience) like. Go with a name brand fully welded chamber muffler. Dynomaxs like Tim said or Flowmasters are good options.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thorley Tri-Y headers /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif, dual 2.25 or 2.5 exhaust. I'm not sure what mufflers to recomend. How loud is okay with You ?? You said the cherry bombs are too loud. I like the sound of the Flowmasters. Maybe a 50 series would work for you.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the tips.

I'll have to look into some cheaper headers I can install, the shops told me $500 and up for headers.

As far as the muffler itself, how much price difference between the cheap turbo they sell and a brand name like dynomax or flowmaster?

I guess I'll look online, sounds like I can get away much cheaper with a DIY install. Any suggestions on sites?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll have to look into some cheaper headers

[/ QUOTE ] In my opinion, headers are not something to go cheap on. Cheapies rust out in a couple years and you just have too spend more money then. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I want to be able to drive slow up my street without annoying my neighbors, or down a forest road without scaring off every deer and elk in the whole unit. As far as i'm concerned, I don't care about it sounding mean, I just want it to perform.

Hopefully I can find the whole system online. I looked in my LMC, but it looks like they only have 'em for pickups, I didn't see any for Blazer or Jimmy, but I have been wrong once or twice before.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you want quiet, 2 1/4 is the way to go. 2 1/2" will sound much better and probably perform the same.

Building a dual exhaust without headers is pretty much a complete waste of money.

11. dksac2

dksac2 Registered Member

Get the hooker headers. I just put a set on my Blazer and they fit great. I was able to run the pipes back without any bending over the crossmember. Good quality. About $150.00 from Summit Racing or Jegs.
    John K

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Building a dual exhaust without headers is pretty much a complete waste of money.

[/ QUOTE ]
    agreed, the exhaust will flow way more than the manifolds and just really be pretty pointless. I do agree, headers aren't a place to skimp. I've done the cheap things, next set I get will be nice coated ones with a nice thick flange. They are going on my daily driver so I want a little less maintenence header.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I want to be able to drive slow up my street without annoying my neighbors, or down a forest road without scaring off every deer and elk in the whole unit. As far as i'm concerned, I don't care about it sounding mean, I just want it to perform.

Hopefully I can find the whole system online. I looked in my LMC, but it looks like they only have 'em for pickups, I didn't see any for Blazer or Jimmy, but I have been wrong once or twice before.

[/ QUOTE ] Headers arn't mernt too make a vehicle loud, a quality set of headers will improve preformance and mileage as well. If less noise is desired, then install your mufflers as far back as you can. By the way, the larger pipes like 2.5" will have a lower tone. 2.25 will sound alittle louder because of the higher pitch.

14. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

My 2 cents. I've used Hooker headers with success but it was a pain setting up the A/C and alternator brackets. On a 4x you don't have to worry about hot starting issues with the starter since there's plenty of oper air space. Exhaust leaks could be an issue due to warpage at the head but that varies from header to header. They will rust over time but you could buy the coated ones for $500. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Duals with stock manifolds is an improvement over stock single and will flow OK and a 3" 2into1 works good too (my current setup). I have stock manifolds w/2into1 3" and a big block Flowmaster and it sounds great. Quiet enough to talk even with the top off but when I get on it, it sounds like it's got balls. What you haven't mentioned is what RPM range you want it to perform in. For torque I'd stay with stock manifolds and a nice single system ($350). If you're running a modified motor and want HP in the upper RPM range I'd go headers and duals ($600-$800 with good headers).

15. beerbudget

beerbudget Newbie

If you want good cheap mufflers that aren't too loud, get the summit turbo mufflers that are 14.95/ each. I'm into LT1 B-Bodies and that's what most people use on them (my LT1 Roadmaster I had as well).

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am with the exhaust shops and would say sty with your stock manifolds.. Headers are a pain in the ass. And on a mild 350, they're not goign to make much of a difference.. You may get what, 5-10 HP from them if you're lucky? I did just replace the ones on my 89 p/u, but only because I have a 383.... If it were stock or closer to stock, I'd run manifolds in a heart beat. No worries about burning out gaskets or rusting out with manifolds... For a quieter, more stock sounding exhaust, go with stock manifolds to a Y pipe and then into a single 3" with a 3 chamber flowmaster or similar muffler. That is a nice sounding set-up without being too loud.

If you have to have headers, go with a set of cast iron Sanderson headers that are more like stock manifolds.

17. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I realy think it depends on what type of sound you like. The larger the pipe, the more echo you seem to get in the system. If you are looking for a low (mello) sound then turbo mufflers are the way to go. If you are looking for Flowmaster sound then dual chambered mufflers will do the trick. I Reccomend "Speedrex" mufflers that I found on ebay about a year ago. They are a simular design to flowmaster, but the baffels are angled so that it won't resonate in the cab and will not give you that loudness untill you really "Get on it". I love my set and have had them on for about a year.
    Headers require mantenance, but are a good investment for a mild build. I've noticed a difference in performance and very little extra noise after adding mine on.
    As I see it Headers and a free flowing exhaust are step #1 when looking to improve the performance on these Chevy's.

Jeremy

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Headers will gain you more than any other modification for power that you can do to your truck.

Once again, duals without headers is a waste of money.

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Headers will gain you more than any other modification for power that you can do to your truck.

Once again, duals without headers is a waste of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

So headers add more HP than a supercharger? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

And you're still gaining flow and HP without headers over a stock exhaust, so how can it be a watse of money?

20. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

OK, sorry for abandoning my post, got the parts for my soft top in last night from Specialty and dicked around with it all night. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If I can get a set of headers for $150-200, sold. The only reason I was balking was the muffler guy's quote of $500, that's just not worth the small horsepower gain, but $150-200 is.

As far as RPM range I am looking for, low to middle response is most important. This K5 is mostly for wheeling, camping and fishing, so I want to be able to cruise @ hwy speeds to get to my destination, but not haul ass. I'm more concerned with the performance at lower speeds for when I'm off-road.

I have a replacement 350 to put in it which I am planning on adding some simple stuff:
    Intake
    Cam
    the Edelbrock carb on it now (thanks, i already know how you feel about this Z3PR)
    Ignition
    and any other relatively simple bolt on upgrades.

So at this point, I think I'll go with the 2.25" duals, with some "affordable" headers. I'll have to look into the mufflers and find something decent.

I would love to find a complete system that I could install myself (spend more on parts and less on labor) but as I said have not found one yet. I guess I'll keep surfing for one.

Thanks for all the input guys, any thoughts on a source for that exhaust would be appreciated.