Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

talk to me about PTO winches...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, May 3, 2008.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i'd like to run a PTO winch on my blazer - is it possible to run a winch that is mounted to the front of my truck with a PTO? i understand that the pto runs another driveshaft, but what type of winch would i procure? does the PTO then determine the pulling capacity of the winch?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The pulling capacity would be determined by the torque of the PTO, sure, but is more affected by the gearing of the winch. Consider it like your axles, right -- torque delivered is a function of the torque at the transfer case multiplied by the gear ratio.

Except your winch should have a ratio in the hundreds-to-one :D so you end up with crazy numbers.

And yeah, I've NO idea how you'd get a PTO shaft to a front winch on our trucks. You generally see them on tow truck for the mid-mount winch, or on the big military trucks (i.e. 2 1/2 ton aka "deuce and a half" or larger.)

What's wrong with your basic normal electric winch?

-- A

3. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

run the PTO from your trans (sm465) and the shaft goes forward to the winch. That means you need a PTO for your trans and a shaft you would need to build or have built. It would only turn when the PTO was engaged, cab controlled by you.

The PTO bolts to the side of the tranny case where the cover is, thats what the big flat plate with 6 bolts in it is for. Since you want the shaft going forward you want a reverse mounted one, usually they are mounted with the shaft going to the rear. That probably won't be cheap or easy to get, well maybe easy but not cheap. For the headache involved I think unless you found a used takeoff setup complete I would go electric or hydraulic. If you go hydraulic you want one that is not run from your PS pump, rather a real dedicated pump.

Last but not least if you run anything but an electric you HAVE to have the engine running or you have no winch

4. BILTIT

BILTIT 1/2 ton status

I have a PTO for the front, came off a pickup. I have seen two in my lifetime so they cannt be that hard to find, hehe. The PTO you want mounted on your transfercase instead of the tranny, better setup in my opinion. This way you can winch and/or winch and drive where as a PTO on the tranny only turns when driving, i believe.

The shaft runs to the front with a steady bearing on the driverside frame. The main downfall of a PTO is the low spot on the winch where the shaft attaches.

PTO winches are rated per the winch, they have shear pins which are supposed to shear at a certain force to prevent over torqueing. Many people report that PTO winches never shear at the correct force and will pull much more than they are rated for.

PTO's can be run hard and all day long, since they have a ~300HP motor driving them, not much stalls them unless the motor stops. They can be dangerous because they do not stall, this is why many do not like them. It is harder to gauge the amount of torque on the line because of the lack of stalling.

There is a connect/disconnect on the PTO under the truck (cable or shaft shifted) and a connect/disconnect at the winch.

They are bigger than an electric, thus they are heavy and usually require a hefty bumper to hold them.

http://www.putfile.com/pic/7044585

1 ton with pto winch in front, see the guard on the low spot in front?

5. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

Nice! :eek1: I bet you could push a train with this bumper. :bow:

Walter

6. BILTIT

BILTIT 1/2 ton status

Probably, most refer to is as a cow catcher haha. I have removed all grill guard (vertical) peices and have just the regular bumper now, sill waiting to put it on.

7. colbystephens

i found two of them here in oregon for $200 or less in good shape... military issue. that low point does worry me tho. thoughts??

8. dremu

Consider that $200 will buy you an 8274 or the like ... admittedly maybe one that needs a bit of love, but that's gonna be cheaper than a driveshaft, PTO setup, etc.

-- A

9. colbystephens

true, but these are 30K lb winches.

10. dremu

Oh god. Have you SEEN those? I don't think they'd FIT on our trucks :haha:

-- A

11. BILTIT

BILTIT 1/2 ton status

My PTO is an 8K and it is larger in diameter than my warn 10K, shorter in length though.

Picture 061.jpg

Picture 062.jpg

12. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

is that a tulsa pto winch? looks like mine:D 8000lb tulsa pto.i have the levers and everything.

13. colbystephens

hmmmm... well, that would be a bummer. :haha: no, i haven't seen it's size in person... just a pic with no reference on it.

14. dremu

Never mind the weight -- not just the winch, but the cable. A 30K would be on a deuce-and-a-half, say, so I'm gonna WAG we're talking about 1/2" or bigger cable .. and ~100 feet of that stuff ain't light.

I know people talk about hydraulic winches and how electrics suck and blah de blah ... but ya know, there's a reason why there's so dang many electric ~10Kish winches out there. They're relatively cheap and easy to install, simple, easy to fix, did I mention simple? =))

-- A

15. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

The PTO on the trans of my 1 ton dump truck works in neutral and first gear. I haven't tried it in any other gear.

Mike

16. BILTIT

BILTIT 1/2 ton status

You bet, 8K tulsa.

17. BILTIT

BILTIT 1/2 ton status

Hmm, i will have to find that info again.

18. BILTIT

BILTIT 1/2 ton status

So i found abit, I was wrong. The PTO style will determine which drive (tranny or tcase) you use.

''tranny mounted pto speed is determined by engine rpm, direction (fwd/rev) is determined by a 2 direction pto box.

transfer mounted pto speed is determined by the transmission gear. i.e. 1,2,3,4,R. ''

19. Chevy911

Chevy911 Registered Member Premium Member

I've got a 10,000 pound ramsey PTO winch mounted on my blazer, its probably about half the speed of my warn M10000 on my pickup, but I never have to worry about burning solinoids or overheating it. Running the shafts wasn't too difficult, I've got a 2 piece shaft with a slip, and a pillow block mounted to the engine crossmember. the only mod is grinding out the existing hole in the forward frame crossmember for more clearance around the shaft. Also I've got a chelsea PTO mounted on my NP205 with a SM465, allows for 4 forward speeds, and the manditory ability to power out cable with reverse, since you cannot disengage the winch drum with any tension on it at all. Although I only use 4th gear for actual winching, and 1st for spinning the winch slowly so I can get out and engage the drum. One other bonus, I always remove my warn from my truck when I'm not using it, for fear of it getting stolen, but the PTO winch is permanently installed, and so difficult to remove, that I always have it, come in very handy when you don't expect it.

20. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

sweet! now i know who to talk to about them.do you have any picks of it mounted???