Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Talked to my dad today... now I am REALLY pissed...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Topdown, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I call my dad just to talk today. Yes I know, but my dad is cool as hell and one of my best friends. Anyway, we are talking and the topic turns to the K5. He starts asking me all sorts of questions and we talk about it for a while then he decides to share a tidbit of info with me that still makes my blood boil...

Dad has worked for GM for around 35 years (give or take). Back in 1970 - 1971 GM had these really neat trucks, really the first of thier kind... called them the "Blazer". Now, by this time, the Blazer had been out a year or two and were selling pretty good, so GM decided to go ahead and continue to build them, in so doing, they started offering them to employee's at a huge discount. So, Dad and his buddies all load up in thier 68 chevelle's, camaro's, Chevy II's, etc... and cruise down to take a look at the ones available for the meager price of $800.00. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Of the guys that went down there to look, all but 2 of them bought at least 1 of the new "Blazers" ... Dad being one of them /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif he figured that he was too young to drive around in something like that and figured there was no way he would ever need a 4x4...

The story goes on for another 45 minutes of stunned silence, but the point was made. There were "a few acre's of them parked out behind this building" for $800.00 for the "what were they custom sport trucks? yeah, they were neat, fully loaded, nice radio's and air conditioning"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Just makes ya want to cry.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Reminds me of a picture I saw of my dad standing by this '57 Chevy.........it was his, bought brand new, and he ended up selling it for $25 (yep, you read that right) in 1964 so he could get a station wagon. It was a 2 door post too........ /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OLD PEOPLE SUCK!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I bought a Blazer for $800.00 and it needs a new floor!
    How bout the ZL1s damn it! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well, its not much consolation but $800 back on '70 was a lot more money than it is now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

your story reminds me of the ones my dad tells me about comic books. he was a huge fan of em waaay back in the day... had all kinds of #1s, X-men etc etc. me: "so, whatdya do with all of em?"... dad: "oh at some point I got bored with em and threw em all away". me looking at my meager comic collection that MIGHT be worth $100: "doh!!!!!!" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what ones do you have? the only comics i ever collected was spawn i have 2 each of #1-80 all in mint condition

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol. yeah, i have spawn #1... never into the series at all... just bought it and never opened it cause i thought it might be worth somethin. It really isnt (i see on ebay that some1 sold issues 1 and 2 for a whopping $4.25 recently), prolly never will be simply because to many peeps have them in mint condition. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

At any rate, other than a few examples, I generally bought comics that i truly enjoyed reading... which means I have lots of Punisher-related stuff. I have 3 of the 4 pre-series punisher comics (it was a mini-series I guess), #1 of the regular series ($3 on ebay, yay!).... and prolly 90% of the post-#5 punisher stuff from the regular series, warzone, and whatever the other one was called... i forget. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyway, i still like reading them from time to time. They aint worth jack, but thats ok. The only other comic character that I was ever really into was Venom... so I have some of the spiderman issues that have him in em... the max carnage series, and pretty much all the stand-alone venom books that came out around that time (early-mid 90s?) anyway, as an investment, comics are the worst idea ever.... for entertainment they are a-ok. Especially the punisher. "...trained as a Marine and armed with a state of the art arsenal, he wages a one man war on crime. He is... THE PUNISHER." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j