Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tan wire at the instrument panel wiring harness plug, testing it ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R77K10, Apr 11, 2006.

1. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

how would you go about testing (ohms reading) the light tan fuel gauge signal wire at the instrument panel wiring harness plug ?

would i just take the multitester leads and put one on the wire end in the plug and the other to ground of the truck body ?

or ?

i did that and i get nothin

dead, no change, its a digital multitester

can this mean that the tanks ground wires at the sender units lost their ground ?

or that the tan wire is broken somewhere between tanks and the instrument panel wiring harness plug ?

or either ?

thanks for anything

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you are getting a infenent reading you could have a bad wire, i have seen this a few times the wires develop a lot of restance in themselves and preven the fuel gague from working, if you can get to the tank really easy take the wire off the stud that is hooks up to and check the restance directly, if you get a reading then its the wire, if not you might have a bad sending unit.

3. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

yeh means pass side tank sender is dead,

here is how i took care of it:

i removed the pass tank and i also removed the valve switcher assembly

and i then connected the drivers side tank straight to the fuel pump

and then i went and pulled the instrument cluster out and ran the driver side (that used to run to the dash dual tank switch)
    tank (light blue)wire straight to the tan wire that goes to the fuel guage in the cluster board

well this wire reads about 28 ohms right now with somewhere around 1/3 of a tank of fuel in it

but the damn guage sits right exactly on E

i swear to god this truck wants to piss me the F off and make me freaking blow it up!!

the guage hot pink wire is nice and hot 12v with the ignition on like its supposed to be

and the only other wire to the damn guage is a light gray -and i have no idea what the desl with its pathway in the board is but it also goes to some light bulb socket contacts on the circuit board before it ends at one of the fuel guage studs

WTF ?????? wht would one of the damn fuel guage studs need to have anything to do with any of the damned dash lights ?

grrrrrrr.

all i want is to have a workking fuel guage

i know now that my blue tank wire(spliced to the tan) to the guage is good,
    and my sender is good
    and my hot pink wire is good

i even tried another damned fuel guage and have the same freaking deal: it goes right to E

WTF??????!

im pissed!

truck is ghosted !

only thing different from when it was all still dual tank is that it doesnt stay past E

the gray wire to the guage is the only thing i have not figured out, everything els ei have done and tried and ruled out!

thanks for any ideas here

!!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm a bit confused now, but that comes from not being there to look at it. :)

What bulbs are tied in with that gray wire you are talking about? Do they work?

It may be a ground, (or is supposed to be, but isn't) which would explain why it's tied into the lights.

You can always pull the gauge itself out and wire directly to the studs on the back of it, and wire the tank sender you've got out the same way, to manipulate the float arm and watch the readings on the gauge.

5. dyeager535

6. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

hi thanks

the webshots links dont work

the gray wire in the circuit panel goes to one side of a coupe of the instr panel light bulbs

wierd.........

what is the light gray wire to the fuel guage for and from ?

if i knew that then it would be all over i think

if its ground then hmm,,, maybe it lost its ground and i need to tie it to new ground

wouldnt figure that anything cept black wires would be ground, but sometimes green is and sometimes white are-
    such as for dome and courtesy and cargo lamps citrcuits, and for the temp sender circuit and well blue and tan also - in the fuel guage sender circuit

so hmmm.....

who knows.,

does the guage get/need full ground source on one of the three posts to work ?

if it does then why ?

doesnt make sense ?

you would think the variable ground signal from the sender unit, and the 12v + would be all that is needed,

hmmm....

neat topcities pages btw :D

if only i had the know how to make such a page then i could share a ton of specs and charts and pages and info i have learned and collected over the past 12 years for 67-87 trucks

alot of it i have lost because had now where to keep it and due to HDD crashes and so forth

i couldnt make a basic internet page like that to save my life i dont know how you guys do it, its to bad though, id love ot help out who i could with all the wild info i have, model and vin codes, serials, options and std equipment info, RPO's, all kinds, sales numbers, etc.

hum

thanks!! :D

7. bronderslev

bronderslev Registered Member

you can make a page where you can share all you´r info whit the rest of the world.... you go in under msn groups and start up a new group.. realy easy...

claus
    denmark

8. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

msn isnt popular enough

not for auto enthusiasts, not many anyways

no one would ever know it existed really

unless i advertised the hell out of it, but most forums kinda frown upon that

so i dunno

thanks

9. dyeager535

10. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

thanks!

very much!

:D