Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tank sending units

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Does anyone know if a specific sized gas tank sending unit has to match the gauge or vice versus? What I'm getting at is if you have a 31 gallon tank and sending unit and a gas gauge from a rig with a 40 gallon tank, will it read funny or should it read correct?

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

As long as the pick up dosen't interfear with the bottom of the tank and your senders have the same resistance your fine....

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

AFAIK, all GM fuel gauges/senders operate the same way, so as was stated, as long as the depth of the tank is the same, your readings will be the same.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Reason I ask, is cause 2 yrs ago when I did the body swap on my dads burb. His was a 77 with a stock 31 gallon tank and sender. I swapped on a 81 body from a 2wd that had a stock 40 tank and sender. So needless to see, I just left the stock 81 gauges in place. Now, I'm driving it around right now cause my burb is in the tranny shop getting fixed and if I fill up the tank with gas, the needle will move from FULL to 1/4 almost as fast as the speedo needle, then from 1/4 to EMPTY will take forever to move. Any ideas?

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your sending unit has an issue. I am running a big tank with the sending unit from a small tank so when it shows empty I still have a few gallons left. I just use mileage to track how much fuel I have. It's pretty accurate from tank to tank.

-Chris

6. 78blazaer

78blazaer Registered Member

My sending unit on my 78 Blazer is acting up.. Do you guys know where I can purchase a replacement sending unit.

Thanks in advace,
    Tav

7. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

8. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

9. dyeager535

For the price, I'd try to "fix" yours. The info has been posted here before, but essentially, there is only one piece that you can disassemble/celan once its pulled from the tank.

Didn't make mine *perfect* but it reads much closer to full/empty now.

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know the sender is working perfect as it was working just fine on the 77 gauge, its just the 81 (40gal)gauge that is reading funny, thats why the ? about if gauges and sender size have anything to do with each other.

11. dyeager535

That was for the guy that was having problems and asking where to buy replacements. Half the time, it seems the sender isn't the problem anyway.

I can confirm a bouncing needle is a gauge issue though.

Should be able to read resistance if you pull the tank sending unit wire under the truck, the one in mine had a connector near the tank I could disconnect. The range is 0-60 or 0-80, can't recall which off the top of my head. In any case, half tank will be 30 or 40. I believe no resistance=full, which can be tested by grounding the tank sending unit wire.

Heck, so I didn't waste time dropping my tank, I hooked up a spare sender (and then a gauge) external of the truck, so I didn't have to drop the tank or disassemble the cluster.

12. 78blazaer

78blazaer Registered Member

Thanks for the info.