Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tank swapping... help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 71Blazer, Dec 21, 2002.

1. 71Blazer

71Blazer Registered Member

Are sending units interchangeable between carbureted and fuel injected gas tanks?

I have a 31 gallon tank from an '84 (carbureted) Blazer. I want to put this tank in my '71 (w/fuel injection). Is there a FI sending unit from a later model that will fit? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

What kind of fuel injection is it that is on a 71? If it is something aftermarket like Holley Projection then your sending unit should be fine. If it is some factory stuff that is retrofitted then I don't know. Is the fuel pump in tank on your fuelie? If not then I think you are alright. I assume you don't have both of them to compare...

andy

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Assuming you know that there must be some fabriction to get the 73+ tank to fit, TBI fuel senders work from '87-91, and for high pressure applications, a Camaro pump should work good for you. (I'm betting the truck TBI pump is the same part # as a Camaro TBI pump part #, but don't feel like looking it up on www.carparts.com )

To be honest, I don't have a Camaro pump yet, but if GM stayed true to form, car TBI/TPI pumps fit the same sending unit, so the trucks will too.

'87-91 K5 tanks are different than 73-86(and earlier of course) as the TBI tanks are baffled to make sure the pickup isn't uncovered when its low on fuel, cornering, extreme angles, accelerating, etc. Doesn't seem to be a problem for some people running without them, but GM felt it necessary in every single fuel injection application they made.

4. 71Blazer

It'is a TPI unit from an '86 Vette. The pump I have is external but I have to run a fuel return line which the FI sending units are already plumbed for. The 31 gal. tank would give me much needed fuel capacity /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. 71Blazer

As long as the flange on the '84 tank will accept a later model (FI) sending unit I can make a baffle for the fuel pickup. I may just have to go down to the friendly auto parts store and compare side by side. Thanks for the input