Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tank Track Wheels!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Oct 21, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I was looking around and found a place on the net im not sure the cost or anything but it looks very cool... wondering if anyone has pros and cons to these? http://www.mattracks.com/

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Pro - From the vids I have seen they can tackle a lot of stuff with what looks like relative ease. I was really impressed with how they plw through deep snow.

Con - Price used to be 10,000 :eek1: , can't go over something like 35-45 mph with 'em on.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I almost bought a set YEARS AGO!!! dont remember who made them.. but back in about 1992 i almost bought a set.. it was that or a quad.. and I didnt get either.... $5000 is what they were running back then... :doah:
    now they are like $30-$40k!!!!

4. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

wow I didnt realize the price tag was so high :eek1: I dont understand they are a monopoly i couldnt find another company and I have been searching 8this make me mad cause they are really cool!! :mad:

5. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

There was a H1 running around town with these last summer and they did look cool. They were loud as heck going down the main street, but thats ok in my opinon. I have'nt seen it this year, and never had a chance to ask the guy about them{never saw the thing on the dunes or local trails}. But it sure was wierd going down the street. :eek1:

6. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Mattrack hummer

Last time I was in Pismo I saw that hummee with the tracks on it. I caught him out on the dunes, the hummer was one of those guys that gives dune tours in his rig. He had it set up to hold like 10 people. He said the tracks were good in the sand, but on the road he could only do about 40 mph. Havn't seen him yet this year though....

7. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

The tracks have a gear reduction in them of 2 to 1 which is part of the reason you can only go like 40 MPH.

8. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Lame!!!!

9. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

what would be cool is if they made a bolt on system that connected the front to the rear wheels with a track. Just by the looks of it, you wouldn't get the mobility that a full tracked vehicle gets because your contact patch isn't as great. However, it looks like it increases over a tire by about 20 fold per corner, so that's something.

10. LAYNFRM

LAYNFRM Registered Member

if they made it to where each side only had one track and they connected the front wheels to the rear, then you would have to have your drivers side powered seperately from your passenger side since tanks turn by one side moving at a higher rate than the other and sometimes they move opposite ways to rotate on axis. i personally would love to be able to have a set of tracks just to see how they do on various terrain, but they are way out of my price range, lol

11. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

nope, all you would need is open axles and a cutting brake, same way tanks steer, brake one side or the other

12. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

You COULD rig something that would link up through your steering wheel like a cutting brake, when you turn the wheel left, the left brake engages, etc...