Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tans flush?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FOR MUD, Feb 24, 2007.

1. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whats the deal AAMCO is running? I heard on the radio the other day, $100 trans flush and then free flush for life time of vehicle. Any one know details? or have done this? It sound to good to be true.:rolleyes:

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Flushing machines scare me. My trans is old and has old fluid in it, if I replace it will all new stuff the trans wil go out.

3. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I take mine to Oilcan Henrys - they drain it and pour like 3 gallons through it for $59. I feel sorry for the guy in the pit though - you can watch on the camera system and it's REALLY messy!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

That does a whole lot of NOTHING. It gets the fluid out of the pan, not the crap that is in the pan, and not whats in the trans cooler, torque converter, valve body, or any other part of the hydraulic system for that matter. Pans on average hold somewhere from 3-8 quarts of fluid. When a transmissions capacity is 12+ quarts all together, think draining 3 quarts out of the pan is doing much of anything?

Can't speak for what Aamco is doing.

5. FOR MUD

I'm going to give them a call Mon. Even if they only do it one time for $100 thats not to bad. I've seen most prices are $125-$150.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Ummmmmmmm, if you read it again he said 3 gallons. :deal:

FWIW, I have had this done to all of my vehicles at least once, but only AFTER I do an old fashioned tranny service myself first, ie. drop the pan and change out the tranny filter.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

and read my post again Can can, I know I can be confusing at times.

A trans pan holds about 3-8 quarts on average. Drop the drain plug and get 3 quarts out of a 12 quart trans. Then dump 3 gallons through it(which is just dumping and immediately out of the drain plug), now you have succesfully still only drained 3 quarts...

Can-can's way is THE way to do it IMO. Drop the pan, change the filter, top it off, then take it and get it flushed. Most complete and best service you can do.

8. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

So I forgot to mention they do this with the rig RUNNING. Drain, plug,fill, start - begin to drain, plug, fill, begin to drain, plug, fill. Stop motor, let it drain again, fill, start, then top off. When they are done the fluid looks like brand new even after being driven long enough to get it all flushed through the system.

But yeah, I still change the filter about every 3 years. They have been doing this to my cummins dodge for 6 years now and I have 160k on the stock original tranny. I guess it works...

9. FOR MUD

When they flush, dosn't that also clean the filter too? I thought it back flushes the trans.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no, they go WITH the flow of the trans. Transmission runs while the flush is in progress, can't backflush it in that instance.

On the whole modern trans filters are nothing more than screens. They let crap trhough and keep big stuff out. Which rarely sticks to the filter, usually just settles to the bottom of the pan when the suction stops.

And sorry W7NB, I ASSumed...

11. 80' 427

80' 427 1/2 ton status Premium Member

why would you want to flush the dirty fluid though the new filter? when we do it IF we replace the filter it is after the fluid. Our flusher tells us the pressure of the pump and using this number we can tell if you have a plugged filter or a weak pump. My K1500 had 200K and I flushed the tranny for the first time 15K ago and it shifted better and hasn't had a problem.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i did something to mine the other day and made it shift a WHOLE lot better,,,,,

i added two quarts of fluid :doah: :haha: :crazy:

13. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

I can only say one or two things on this subject, im not telling you NOT to have a flush done, but becareful if your fluid is burnt and or varnished, some ammco's will flush them anyways (i work at one, so i know, hehe) we will not flush it if the fluild is really bad, because what can happen is it will actually go out working crappier than it did when it came in... a trans flush can be a good thing if its kept up yearly and the pan is clean (some dust is normal, dont let anyone fool you by just a little bit of dust in the pan)..... other than that, have the trans serviced (filter, clean pan and new gasket) and then flushed, your way better off that way...... Just my .02, Nate:D

14. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

tj tj tj, your pushing it buddy... two quarts, that would mean the pan was 1/2 full... bad boy, no girly pictures for you.. Nate

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i know i'm pushing it, guess i need to find, and fix the leak...

Kinda figured it was low, when i go to turn corners at alittle higher speed than normal, and it would slip, or take it's time going into the next gear...:doah:

I keep this up i may have another trans for you to rebuild :crazy: :doah:

It's about time for a fluid change and service anyways.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

all trans service machines I know of show line pressure, but the pressure the machine sees at the transmission cooler is NOT equal to transmission line pressure. Its no diagnostic tool in my eyes. Hook up a real gauge to a test port and the pressures will be way different than what you see at the cooler lines. Heck Mitsubishis often push less than 20psi of pressure through the cooler lines.

17. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

After I submarine a rig I do all the normal maintenance needed... but when it comes to my manual tranny I do this...

Drain all the fluid out (I installed a drain plug in my pan, do this if you haven't, much less mess) refill the tranny, run it around the block, back up to temp, drain again, drop the pan, change the filter, and fill'er back up.

I do not like the flush machines. If I wanna flush my tranny I just repeat the above process a couple times. I don't like the idea of forcing fluid through the trans in directions or pressures that it does not operate at. Maybe I am way off. But it's what I have done, and always will do.

18. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

manual tranny?pan?filter?

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

As I thought stated, flushing machines don't do that. I agree completely on forcing fluid a way it wasn't designed to go. Most machines I have dealt with don't even have a pump built in! They just work off of the transmission pressure through the cooler lines. The only time I've ever NEEDED a pump was on an Exploder where they have the thermostatically controlled cooler lines. You can't flush them without a pump. Need the pump to override the control valve. Otherwise all the machines i've used run WITH the direction of flow.

20. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

:haha::haha::haha: OH CRAP... see, I didn't reread my own post... What a dumbass I R!!!

I was 'of course' talking about an auto tranny. :D :D :D