Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by patt107, Oct 11, 2006.

1. patt107

patt107 1/2 ton status

Ok ive seached and found tons of posts on this but no answer........where can i buy a RH 7/8x18 TAP for threading DOM tubing for TRE's? what are the threads on 10 bolt TRE's? What size DOM do i need to get in order to thread it? I would like to run at least 1.5 DOM because of the beefy factor:bow: .
    thanks
    pat

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

http://e-taps.com/ is one option. Just heard of them, never have bought from them.
    Travers.com is another.

3. patt107

patt107 1/2 ton status

Ok so e-taps has the RH 7/8x18 tap for $28 and the LH 7/8x18 tap for $48, what type of tap should i get; TAPER, PLUG or BOTTOMING? im trying to thread DOM for a drag link plus if i buy the taps im sure some of you guys would love to borrow that LH tap.
    pat

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you are not planning on making a lot of drag links you might want to lookin to threaded inserts the kind you weld in, for 30 you can get both sides and they are rolled threads that are stronger than the cut threads

5. patt107

patt107 1/2 ton status

Ive already got a set of weld in inserts but i really wanted to make a threaded rod for the extra strength. I just dont know if i trust two beads holding my whole steering from going crazy, plus my welder isnt strong enough to weld the ends on.
    thanks
    pat

6. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

tapered, you only want bottoming taps if you need the threads to butt down to the bottom of a hole which you dont need...

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Tapered or Plug. Either is a good option.

Second not using the threaded adapters. By not using them that's 2 fewer welds in the steering system. Which means there's 2 fewer failure points. This is a good thing.

8. patt107

patt107 1/2 ton status

so what size tube do i need to get in order to thread it? Any good places to get it at? i know where to get common size tube but this has to be exact so that it can be threaded.
    thanks for all the help so far guys!!
    pat

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

use solid rod stock and drill it out on a lathe.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Solid bar is the heavy option that doesn't gain you much strength over tube with the right ID for tapping. The strength is in the diameter, not in the mass.

Google "Tap Drill sizes" and you should find a chart with what that tap wants for a hole size. I don't think you'll find a tube with exactly the right ID, but you can find one that is just a little bit smaller. Simply drill it to the right tap drill size and tap the hole. Drill & tap as deep as the tap will go. That will leave you with as much adjustment as possible.

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Equal diameter tube (with sufficient wall thickness) is actually stronger than solid rod.
    Surface area is what gives strength and a tube has both inner and outer surfaces to resist tension and compression.

You might also want to try McMaster-Carr for the tap. They have lots of stuff.

I think the drill size for 7/8-18 is 27/32 but don't quote me on that.

12. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

with a tap socket on the tap, it will thread as far as you can get it in and out..