Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tapered reamers. Where to get?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by sled_dog, Mar 25, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=2528&cat=624&page=1

I'm looking for a 1.5" per foot tapered reamer. Need to ream the steering arm on the S10 to accept a 1 ton TRE. Anyone know where to get one? Maybe just a bit cheaper? Seems back when Russ posted about using one on his K5 they were all over Ebay. Now I can't find a single one on there.

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I used Snap-on p/n r-121 to enlarge the hole in my pittman arm. It was priced well ~$35 and despite a few questionable reviews of it on Pirate, it worked well for me. I was able to do it on my lathe and suggest that a lathe, drill press, or milling machine would do a better job than a handheld drill. Foer me it was worth it, the reamer looks rough and dull when new, not razor sharp like the reamers I am used to, but it worked, and now it shows signs of use, but none of wear.

3. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

I bought one of the ebay reamers and it is exactly what you need,its a nice tool for the money.I reamed 2 arms with mine and never even put a mark on it.
    Do a search on ebay for XKUT if you cant find anything try emailing him XKUT@pa.net

I tried the snapon reamer and its not very good in fact it was the wrong taper! Only 1" per foot, it works but if you look closely it does not make full contact which will slowly egg it out.

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Tapered reamers are very common in machine shops. Any good machine tool supply house will have them. Two that I use are MSC (Manhattan Supply Corp.) and McMaster-Carr. You can go online to either to find and order what you need.

Also, remember that a tapered reamer is designed to be used after a straight reamer has been used. Ream the hole to the minor diameter and then use the tapered. This will give the best finish, and extend the life of the reamer. Mofugly13 is right, reamers are not designed to be used with a hand held tool. Doing so will result in chattering. This will make an unaceptable hole and damage the reamer.

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I used the Snap on reamer for mine and was happy with the results.