Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tapping aftermarket tie rod.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Aug 1, 2006.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Hey all I had to cut down my Rock Stomper tie rod due to the high steer setup. Who all has had there tie rod tapped? Does anyone know what the size is? Should I have a machine shop do it or buy my own tap?

Thanks,

2. stallion85

Also looking at the stock tie rod on my Dana 60 it only has 1 TRE and the other end has the TRE built into the main body of the tie rod.

Now when I go to buy new TRE's how do I get a left/right threaded ends?

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Usually whatever end you buy can be hand in and L or R configuration. There are also some popular part numbers floating around here for the ends that are most commonly used. The tap is a 7/8" NS thread (usually) if I remember correctly could also be the larger 1". You won't walk into any hardware store and buy one. Its an order only deal. I doubt most machine shops will have one either. If you can't find any one to help let me know.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Had the identical situation as you. Hopefully you didn't cut the LH thread side. The taps for LH are pricey and really hard to find, unless you buy it online. You should be able to find a local wheeler (if the stars are aligned) who has one of the 7/8 fine thread (RH) taps. I got luck in that way (thanks Charlie).

Make sure you have threads still in the rod, don't cut them all off, they will help as a guide. Lotsa lube, and take your time.

Use 2010L and 2010R rod ends. FYI, The 2010L ends are special order, parts houses usually don't stock em.

5. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

just an fyi:

2010R/L is for a '76 - '93 dodge D60F(4500Lb front end if asked)... W350(W300) or W250 with a diesel. 7/8"-18

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Second the not cutting the LH threads. Try travers.com for the tap. Try partsmikeparts for the tre's. Best price I've seen published. Might be be our list vendors do better, haven't had the need to know in quite a while.

Might call Scott E. @ 'Stomper and see if he has some ideas.

For the 60 tie rod I'd convert to individual tre's with tube btwn them.

7. stallion85

For a trail rig would it be bad if both ends were RH threaded? I really don't have to worry about alignment problems since it is a trail rig only.

I am leaving the stock tie rod on then will match the highsteer tie rod , once it is attatched I will remove the OEM tie rod.

I am thinking this way should keep it pretty close to in-allignment?

My machinist has the RH 7/8" fine threaded tap.....

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Just means that you have to pop a TRE loose to make any toe-in or steering wheel centering adjustments.

FWIW, it is common practice to lightly groove the OD of anything with LH threads to ID which is which.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Make sure it is the 7/8-18 and NOT the 7/8-14. The 7/8-18 is usually found only in automotive applications.

If you have a hard time finding right TRE's let me know. We stock the ES2010R & ES2010L TRE's w/ jamb nuts. They are $35 ea. including jamb nuts.