Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Tapping" into hot line from tranny?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Feb 7, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

\"Tapping\" into hot line from tranny?

I will be installing an auxillary tranny cooler on my 700r4 this weekend when i install it...Does anybody have any ideas/pictures on how i can tap into the "hot" output line that goes too the cooler...I want to install a temp gauge clost to the tranny with the sensor off the hot line going to the cooler...I will be using the new cooler as my primary cooler (ie getting rid of the factory radiator cooler) I just need ideas on tapping into the hot line to mount the temp sensor for the tranny temp gauge...

Thanks a lot,
    Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: \"Tapping\" into hot line from tranny?

I used a B&amp;M tranny gauge, and they had a T fitting that you put in the line. It has worked well so far. Give me a call and I can give you a hand this weekend.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

do not get rid of the stock cooler use them both go from tranny to old cooler then out of old cooler to new cooler and then to the tranny

wheeling pics

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with Mudhog - eliminating or bypassing the factory tranny cooler isn't a good idea. AFAIK, all the aftermarket tranny cooler manufacturers suggest that you run their products ALONG WITH the factory cooler.......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

5. Hossbaby50

They are right about running the tranny fluid threw both coolers. Especially here in CO, or other cold places. In the winter the cooler might work to well, and contribute to another 700R-4 mishap. I did it on my truck that way. Let me know if you want some help this weekend. Call me tomorrow or email me.

Harley

6. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

my trans temp gauge is in the 700r4 pressure diagnostic port on the driverss side in the middle of the trans, i seem to get an acurate reading there. and you really should keep the stock cooler, the air to water in the radiator can cool the atf faster than air to atf can.

but to be honest i have just a tranny cooler (i think the radiator is for a manual trans) and i have had no heating problems, even pushing an 8.5 foot meyers industrial plow, but that is in the cold weather, im anxious to see what summer brings

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't want to start an argument, but like HossBaby said, running just the aftermarket cooler in cold weather can OVERcool the tranny which is almost as bad as overheating it.

When you run an auxilliary in sequence with the factory cooler, the tranny gets a chance to heat up in cold weather because it's getting warmth from the rad. In the summertime, when the tranny fluid is already warm because of ambient temperature, you don't need the warming effect of the factory cooler.

Just thought I'd add my two cents.....

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

8. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

It will be messy, but the only way I know how to tell which line is "hot" (going away from the tranny), and "cool" (going into the tranny), is to disconect the lines going into the cooler in the radiator and have someone crank it over till you see fluid spew out of one of the lines. The one it spews out of is the one you want your temp sending unit in, and the other line should be the one spliced into for the aux. tranny cooler.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

9. Hossbaby50

The bottom line from the tranny is the sending, and the top is the return line if I remember right.

10. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

what is so detrimental about cold atf, i use it in the hydraulics in the winter, and its the same consistancy coming out of the bottle as it is in the summer. is it a friction issue or what. i just dont understand te science behind it.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just like engines, automatic transmissions are designed for optimal performance within a certain temperature range. Would you want your engine running at only 100 degrees all of the time? Of course whether you could actually overcool an auto trans with just an aftermarket cooler is another question.......

For the consistency/viscosity of ATF in the summer vs. winter, you really shouldn't be able to tell any difference just by watching it run out of the bottle since it is relatively light oil. Realistically, you are probably only looking at an outside temperature range of a 100 degrees between summer and winter at the absolute most, while the operating range of the fluid in the transmission probably at least 200 degrees.

12. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

thanks but that just skirted my question....what is the mechanical differences btw hot and too cold atf besides viscousity and such.

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I don't think there are any mechanical differences between hot and cold tranny fluid...but I do know that you want to get the tranny hot enough to make any water in the fluid evaporate...

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

14. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Here's another $00.02 worth.... added an aux to mine as well, and went 1 size over what the tranny shop recommended. They said you COULD overcool it, (didn't give the specifics), but I also run a cold-shield and radiator cooler as well. They mentioned not being in the optimum temp range and could effect it. Recommended letting it warm up a few on those cold mornings before driving away. I'm in Wisconsin (cold country!)