Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tapping the stering box?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, May 10, 2003.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

anybody done this on thier own? i can get all the cylanders i need out here at a far supply, i just dont have the cash to get a WTOR kit. i would love to, but cant afford it.

i have 2 boxes i can try on before i do the actual one needed.

any input would be GREAT!
    thanks, Grant

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

3. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Grant, I'd be curious how you do on this mod. If you give it a shot post your results, I may try this as well. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

5. Seventy4Blazer

ok man, here is the deal....
    i looked at the box i have, well one of the few, this is going to be EASY. i now know how a steering box woekrs as well. they are a lot more simple than i thought. the only problem is i am going to need a test pig, but i am going to ask a semi local frined of mine to be that test pig. since my truck is not working i may have to try it on a ford, since it is the same pump. anywhoo, it will be about a month or so before i can get the ram, and the lines and fittings, but the process of taking the box appart is done, and i know how im going to have it done. i will try to get the fittings tomorrow, and then have the parts machined by the end of the week, but i will see and keep you updated.
    the write ups are very good. i did find however that while removing the end cap, if it is stuck take a 5/16ths drill bit and SLOWLY drill into it. it is about 1/4 inch or so thick. mine would not budge by the way so i did this to get it out. after drilling, inser the short end of a 1/4 inch allen wrench and pry against the "L" wallah, its out.
    Grant

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hows it coming along?

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hows it coming along?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the links man.
    I habe been looking for examples to see so I can tap my own box, that made it even easier. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Seventy4Blazer

wow i must have been more tired than i thought when i yped that last post.... hukd on fonics wurkd fer me!

anywhoo, it is comming along. im going to take the parts down and have them machined this comming week.
    but i still have to find a guy to test it out, and i still need a cylander. but i can get a make shift cylander around here some where.
    Grant