Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Target Master Motor---WTF???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue Meanie, May 23, 2002.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

i was in search of a one piece rubber gasket for my 350 yesterday. i called fel-pro and they told me that i have a Target Master motor and they stopped making oil pan gaskets for it a while ago. i have never heard of this. i called chevy and they said they could order the gasket, but i want to know more about this motor. is this thing a peice of crap?? are all parts going to be this hard to find??? please help, i am frightened!!! oh, the motor has about 20,000-30,000 miles on it and runs great, for now...

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Uhhhhh Maybe I got my information screwed up but I thought the Target motors were just FACTORY rebuilt motors. Nothing different about the blocks. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Grim you are right. The target master motors are just factory rebuilt Chevrolet manufactured motors. There is nothing special about them. Look for a build date on the block and then go by that to get a small block Chevy oil pan gasket and you will be set.

4. Blue Meanie

the only thing that i can tell that is different is that the oil pan and bottom of block (where the oil pan and block connect) have provisions for left and right dip sticks. i have a rigged gasket in their now and don't think that it is leaking because of that. i think that i over torqued the bolts and pinched the cork. is there a website that anyone knows about that i can learn more about the target master?? thanks guys

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

We were just discussing pan gaskets in another thread...might be in "the Garage". Moroso sells a one peice pan gasket that's reusable and the way it was described it sounds like it has the provision for both left and right dipstick.
    Worse case you can mix and match two 4 peice gasket kits. Get a kit for say a 78 and then a kit for 88 (I think that's the year they went to passengerside dip stick might be wrong). Then just use the the correct gasket for each side. Stink having to buy two kits but it's an option.

6. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think '81 or '82 was when they swapped sides with the dip stick. In '86 when they went to the one piece rear main seal is also when they went to the one piece oil pan gasket.

7. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I recently had a problem getting the right pan gasket also.. I have a '76 350.. I went to AZ and bought the Fel-Pro permaseal gasket ($25.00) and when I went to install it the front portion of the gasket was to big... went back to AZ and rechecked the part number and found that I had a oil pan from a '71 350.... appears the front tin (timing cover) and oil pan were different on early 350's.. the '76 gasket I got had either side dip stick holes and the early model, 71', had only the drivers side hole.. hhhhmmm

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not sure what to tell you but recently (this past week) my buddy's 350 in his 85 1 ton crapped out and he ordered a "factory" replacement through a GM dealer. The motors were not the same. For one thing the heads had different markings on them (externally) and the both the block (near the casting numbers) and the heads (under the valve covers near the head numbers) both said "Heche en Mexico". The motor came with provision for either a left or right hand dipstick (one side was higher on the block than the other side, and one was larger than the other and they gave two "plugs" to fill the hole not used [cringe]). Luckily it came with the tin on it (long-block), but looking through all my gaskets and at the pan, I don't think I have any that would fit without mixing and matching if I had to loan him a set if he needed to replace the pan gasket. I know if I went to a parts store for a pan gasket on an 85 they would give me the wrong one, yet this is supposedly a direct replacement through GM.....go figure.
    I looked at the motor that we pulled out and it only had provision for dipstick on one side and the corresponding bulge on that side in the pan, but the new motor had bulges in the pan for both sides, so I know a regular gasket would not work as the original had one "straight" side and this did not.

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Don't be frighened. The "Target Master" now called "Good Wrench" is a all new 4 bolt main cast piston, cast crank light duty engine for pass. cars and light trucks. Not remanufactured. It does have provisions for right or left dip sticks. You will need a pan gasket for a Target-Good Wrench (same thing) motor. No biggie were I come from. In fact it's almost a daily event. GM only makes a cork type gasket for the 2 piece rr main seal motors. If you want a one piece rubber pan gasket you will need to go after market.
    Jim

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have a TM 350,
    only difference I have run across is the block is cast too thick for a block heater on the driver side so I had to use the PS freeze plug under the starter
    standard old style pan gaskets work

11. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I have the same block. The only place that I could find a single gasket set with provisions for the dipstick on both sides was GM.

12. Blue Meanie

thanks guys. i checked with Chevy and they said that they would have to order one. No biggy. i used enough "right stuff" to choke a donkey!!!

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Fel-Pro 1 piece oil pan gasket is made for both dipsticks.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the set the partsman at the local place handed over worked for me

15. Blue Meanie

i emailed mr gasket's tech line and they didn't make a gasket for the target master either. i will have to get used to cutting the cork on the one side. thanks guys.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

do felpro or ROL oil pan gasket kits come with both left and right side gaskets?
    or can you not just use the set that matches whatever side you have the distick on?
    I have changed the pan gaskets a few times and never had a problem, I just said PS dipstick and it worked.

17. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Why not just get the correct gasket ?
    Jim