Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tattos

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AllamericanK5, Aug 21, 2006.

1. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

Ok Ive been thinking about getting a tatto. I want some kind of gearhead one. I cant seem to find any that I like. What all do you have? Pics would be awsome!!!!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Don't do it...Sled dog will be here shortly with his opinion, and he has good ones for tatts...

3. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

get a wrench that says i heart mom?? just an idea lol... im am good at contributing nothing, thus a very fancy banana dance

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Hopefully the guy you get to do it is a better speller, its 'tattoo'. :p:

5. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks i kinda feel like an idot now that I posted it like that

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

hay idots ar peplse two...

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Yea ... Me tO:woot:

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you dont know what you want, then you're not ready for a tattoo. my first was a spur of the moment thing, and i regretted it until i figured out what i was going to do to it to make it mean something. when my grandfather died in '03 i immediately knew what i was going to do to it. 2 years to the day after my grandfather passed away, i got back in the chair. i wanted it finished more than when i originally came up with the idea. i couldnt be happier with it now.

if you want one, figure out what you want. then sit on the idea for a year. if you still want the same thing, go for it. if not, back to the drawing board. you'll have to live with it for the rest of your life, so dont rush into anything.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I quoted because thats exactly what I would have said.

I have 8 tattoos at the moment. Sooner or later it will be down to 4 (sleeve in progress). My first tattoo was 2 days after I turned 18, spur of the moment, YEAH LETS DO IT. Definetally sit down and think first. THe tattoo meant nothing to me at the time. Its a band logo, all it meant at that second was I liked the band. Now I have more meaning to it, I've developed it into my own thing, but I do regret it.

Now personally I regret it because it is on my back. The back is a LARGE canvas for amazing artwork. And I would be much happier with a full back piece in some crazy gothic scene, but I screwed myself out of that.

Oh being 19, I say wait at least a year or two. I had a bunch of tattoos by the time I was 19, and I still love them but it took me a while to really develop my style. When I went into the shop at 18, I thought Celtic was THE ****, blackwork was all I needed, my back piece had NO tribal to it..., and that the people COVERED in tattoos were crazy. Believe me I think much differently now. Now my favorite is fine line art(low needle count intricate work), I love color, I want to be covered, and I just think differently about the whole art form. Its not about being badass, its about expressing whats important to me through art, since I lack the artistic skill myself.

I say wait. I always recommend people wait. Though they rarely listen to me.

I hang out at the shop a lot. I have no aspirations of being an artist I just like learning what I can about it. Anyway, the happiest people I see get tattooed. Are the people who walk in with some design they drew years ago and are just finally getting it done. Its usually something thats not my cup of tea, but they always seem to love it.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Well said. The only Tattoo I regret getting is the one on my left arm. It was just some piece of nothing. It was the 3rd one I got and it covered the first one I got. The first one was done by a friend of mine one summer, back when we in HS. We did the old needle wrapped in thread dipped into India ink. We were all sitting around drinking & goofing off. Kicked back on the hood of an old rusted out Caddy. Those were some great times. It looked like crap but it had real meaning. I wish I had it back.

11. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I do not regret getting my tatoo, and I want to get a few more, but I can not think of anything I would want on my body that means something to me. My brother has 4 and they all kick ass and everyone has meaning.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

use the $ for truck parts. Truck parts "mean something" too... and they don't take surgery to remove either...

j

13. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Well, I have three out of four tattoo's that I really am proud of, and one that will be covered with something better. I would not do the "gearhead" thing, you'll just regret it later. Do the "Sistine Chapel" thing and find a real piece of artwork to put on your body.

John

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

carry a Dana 60 with you everywhere you go. yeah, right. :screwy:

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

agreed on the "piece of artwork" thing. BUt thats my personal style. Of course some don't care for the fantasy art or find it nearly as artistic as I do.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I have much simpler, more traditional things and love them as well of course. I am planning an old school half sleeve on the upper portion of my left arm. Thinking a personalized version of the traditional "Man's Ruin". Keep the pinup, change it to a shot glass, instead of cards put some gears, wrenches, and keep the money. Just have to get one of the artists I know to design it up for me. My main priority is my right full sleeve, which is more art like the above...

OK so now that I went on about my own preferences and work, do whatever you want, because its what you are going to do anyway, just read and at least entertain the words we've spoken(typed).

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

FWIW, Kat from Miami Ink is hot. :D

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ask yourself this..............How cool will it look when your old and wrinkled.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

true, but how cool will my skin look in general.

Now what is really going to be funny is the amount of old ladies in the nursing home in the not too distant future with lower back tattoos...

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

it doesn't take a psych major to tell you that someone who feels a substantial need to show off something like this constantly and to everyone may have some issues. As always, to each their own... and as Americans we are all free to spend our money how we chose to do so. I think "body art" / self-mutilation is a pointless excersize and a waste of money... other people's entire lives revolve around it. Its all good, lets sing kumbahya now. :grin:

j

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

so you have nothing, and nobody who really means something to you.

i understand completely. :screwy:

mine is easily covered by a short sleeve shirt. do i show it off? hell yeah, every chance i get! why? not because i think that a tattoo makes you cool, but everyone asks what the significance of it is. started out as a simple Mr Horsepower. saw it as something that would be recognized by car guys of all ages, and something that would identify me as a car guy. after i got it, i kind of regretted it. my grandfather got me into the hobby, and when he passed away, i wanted to add something to it. not only to make it look better, but in memory of him.

actually had a guy at work when i added to it, approach me with the same attitude as you. flat out told me i was stupid for "scarring cartoons" on my body. told him the significance of it, and surprisingly enough, it all made sense to him after that.

i dont think i'm going to be surprised at the outcome of this one though.