Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taurus 2 speed fan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

What years do I need to look at? Is that one a dual fan or a single? Thanks for the info. I did a search but didn't see excatly what I was looking for.

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

dual speed ... single fan...

3 wires...

90-95 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I think... with the 3.8 engine.

Marv

3. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

As good as the Windstar or should I just look for one of those?

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I believe some have fitted the Taurus fan in the existing shroud so they have both fans. Stock for normal use and the electric when needed off-road. The Winstar fan shroud is a near perfect fit on the large blazer radiator. I believe Sandman installed the Winstar. I have installed them on my 71 ElCamino and have another set to put on my Blazer this winter.

5. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Heres a link to what I did with mine Taurus fan
    I don't think the shroud I built is the best design, as it only really pulls ait through the center of the radiator. I have it wired to turn on with the ignition, and I have a switch in the cab for high speed. I've sat in traffic in 100* heat and never gone over 210*, nor have I gone over 210* in high load/low speed situations, so I guess it works pretty good.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

dude love the speedlimit sign, i made a custom dash out of a STOP sign for our teachers 66 chevy pickup, it looked real good all polished up. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif This was back in highschool autoshop, wish i had pics of it!! oh well

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I went with the Windstar fan and it work awsome. It fits perfectly with about a 1/2" gap on the bottom. Cools my BB just great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i have seen 2 speed fans on as early as 88's. the 3.8's have 2 speeds and the 3.0's have single speed fans. i am running 2 of them on my k5. i used a 4 core radiator for a diesel and i mounted the fans vertically side by side used in parallel. wired them both threw swiches, one switch for low speed and one switch for high and can shut them off for deep water. well worth the effort to find them.

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I run the 2spd Taurus fan on mine. I took a piece of sheetmetal, cut it the size of the radiator (w/ no shroud), then cut a hole in the sheetmetal the size of the fan and mounted the fan to that w/ the factory taurus shroud around it... long story short... it can only pull air thru the radiator, cools like a bastard, was cheap (fan was like 15 bucks at the bone yard + a relay, some wire, and a 3 position toggle switch. The only time I have gotten it warm since I installed it is when I forget to turn it on. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif