Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taurus PT 145 Any owners?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 81K5GUY, Feb 20, 2007.

1. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

My birthday is Thurs. and my wife asked what I wanted and I have been looking at buying a new .45 cal gun for some time .Since I lost all my wieght last year(75lbs) my Rugers (2-P90 dc's) have been kinda hard to conceal.I went to some local gun shops and scoped out some compact .45's and seem to like the Taurus but havent had a chance to fire one because none of the local shops have a range. Anybody own one of these or know of any good comparible compacts ?Wanted some input before I put down the $365 the local shop is asking.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Had the PT140

Nice piece

Muzzle flip was a bit annoying

Could be controlled though

3. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I've got twin pt 945's almost exact duplicates of the 1911, they are big heavy and a focking riot to shoot, I won't trade them for anything, they are a little big for a carry gun, especailly whaen your carrying one under each arm.:doah:

4. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have a Pt-145. I was surprised how easy it was to shoot. I expected it to be quite a handful, but my .40 has more muzzle flip than the .45 does. I like the fact that it has 10 +1 capacity. It is not as accurate as I would like, but it is a pretty short gun, so the sights are close together. I have only had it for a few months and have hardly shot it, less then a thousand rounds through it, so the accuracy problem could be mine as well. As for carrying it concealed, I do have an issue with the safety, it is not very positive. True, it is a double action only gun with a long trigger pull, but I like having the safety on as well. The safety on mine could easily come off just by rubbing against your clothes.

I bought it used, for a beat around truck gun. All in all I guess I have been happy with with it. It is a good gun to have in the truck to finish off a moose or caribou that has been hit by a car, or if I need to throw a gun in my coat pocket if I decide to take a quick hike and don't have a better one on me.

I think I will be checking out a Kahr for a subcompact carry gun. A little more money but I think a little higher quality gun as well. This one will stay in the beater catagory.

5. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i have a pt111 millenium pro, awesome gun, easy to conceal, if it's the same size frame, you should have no probs, im 6'2" and 195...
    could always look into a kimber ultra cdp... more money, but small 45 1911

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have the PT145 in stainless, a 3rd gen. model (SA/DA), about 1300 rounds through it of FMJ and JHP, all 230gr. with not one problem. (I guess it HAS had two FTE's, but it was a friend who had not shot a semi-auto in years and limp-wristed the hell out of it)

I would go check out the newer (3rd gen) model, the SA/DA trigger is much better (IMHO) than DAO, it is ALWAYS SA once cocked, unless you have a round fail, in which case you have the oppotunity for a second strike in DA.

In SA the trigger has a long takeup but a pretty light, crisp break (once you get to the break point), the Heine "straight eight" sights took a little getting used to as well, but once I familiarized myself it was about as accurate as you can expect a 3" .45 to be.

Everyone seems to agree that this 3rd gen is a huge improvement.

Also, don't know if prices are up or not but check around, I got mine in stainless for $295.

Also, good source for info: www.taurusarmed.net

7. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

Local price was $365

8. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I love my Taurus PT99, excellent gun but obviously too big to carry concealed. Years ago I had an AMT .380 Backup, another great little gun that never gave me problems and was easy to conceal. Full stainless, reliable safety, comfortable to shoot, and it was light. Only drawback was the 5 round magazine capacity, but I wish I still had it.

9. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

thats one reason I like the pt 145 it holds 10 in the mag and 1 in the pipe.