Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taxes, and a Urine test

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 76zimmer, Mar 13, 2007.

1. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

> > Taxes and Urine test
    > >
    > > Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work,
    > > they pay me. I pay
    > > my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as they
    > > see fit. In order
    > > to get that paycheck. I am required to pass a random
    > > urine test, which I
    > > have no problem with.
    > >
    > > What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my
    > > taxes to people who
    > > don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to
    > > pass a urine test to
    > > get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to earn
    > > it for them?
    > >
    > > Please understand, I have no problem with helping people
    > > get back on their
    > > feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with
    > > helping someone sit on
    > > their butt. Could you imagine how much money the state
    > > would save if people
    > > had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance
    > > check.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Im sure some group would consider it profiling and claim it to be illegal:rolleyes:

Great idea though!!!!!

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I am against urine testing for most jobs, but damn, good point, I have a urinalysis coming up, it's sad to hear some of my coworkers bitchin, I mean, if you can't clean up your act for 30 days, then maybe you've got a problem.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Many things will stay in your sytem longer than 30 days, not to mention just being around it could affect your results.

Now im not saying these are justified excuses by any means. Sometimes one bad choice can ruin someone...

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

That one bad choice in my mind is doing drugs before or at work, which is a hazard.
    On the other hand what people do on the weekends or in their free time, if not affecting work performance, is no one's business.

I only advocate testing after an accident.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

After someone's already been maimed or killed,,,,,,riiiiight

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Remember, some of us can get called out for an emergency, at any time of the day, any day of the year. The last thing I need is to respond to a gas-related emergency and realize my partner is stoned.

You don't state your occupation, but I'm willing to bet that it doesn't involve hazardous conditions or potential emergency response and life and death scenarios. And if you just happen to do a job like that, then geez, I'm glad I don't work with you........:deal:

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

so if a guy gets stoneder than shat, on saturday, religiously for 2 years, youd want his brain-cell lacking ass running the bucket you're in near 80000 volts of electricity? negatory ghostrider, it's a bad idea all around....

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

So enlighten me, how much does your average urinalysis cost? :deal:

10. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I'm with you on this. I investigate serious and fatal traffic collisions. We had an employee of the City show up drunk, in a city truck, on a callout. The driver that caused the accident being investigated killed two passengers: drug tests done => positive.

One fatal collision equals 8 to 10 hours away from home for me and my team and roads closed for several hours affecting thousands of people trying to get to their jobs, families and obligations.

Many legal and illegal substances affect a person for more than the time they were "partying." Some drugs can affect a person for 12 to 24 hours and beyond after use.

Many people throw out drug use as a "victimless crime." I'm not trying to preach. Most mailbox theft, identity theft, fraud, check washing type of activity is a direct result of drug use and as a means to get the drugs. Banks lose serious $$$. Who covers that loss? We do.

People against testing advocate "their rights." I have a right not to have a coworker kill me because they're high. These folks are using heavy equipment that is extremely dangerous.

11. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

At my place of employment, drug tests are supposed to occur pre-hire, and after any accident. I've never been tested, and have worked here since September. People who've had accidents say they weren't tested. This drives me ape****. If some stoner creams someone on a forklift, or didn't watch what they were doing and knocked something onto someone, I'd probably... well, have a very negative response.

12. mofugly13

Of course it's OK to drink yerself silly at home, tho, right? 'Cause it's legal.

But take a toke on a weekend, and your job might be in jeapordy. For the record, I have had to decline an emergency calls on a weekend because I had already downed a few boozes. I am all for leaving people alone as far as what they do on their own time. Seriously, Paul, do remain stone cold sober 100% of the time, waiting for that emergency call? Or would you just let your boss know that you are not in proper condition to work. Knowing you, I bet the latter is true. It's all about personal resposibility. FWIW, I do NOT advocate being under the influence while on the job, no matter how menial it may be.

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

But not if it has the ability to affect your performance the next day, or the day after.

14. mofugly13

That line was a less than serious tongue-in-cheek reply. I was just trying to point out how folks tend to dismiss the fact that alcohol is just as danderous as other drugs. I shoulda added one of these :rolleyes: to the end.

15. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I don't think that would have changed the way I looked at it, but that's probably because I'm not at all a fan of alcohol either. I don't think it should be banned, but I don't see but MAYBE 2-5% of the people using it being responsible with it.

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You have a point, Matt, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I would have been "unfit for work" during the last year. If a guy smokes up every weekend, then he's unfit at least 52 days a year. Of course, I don't know a single pot smoker who only puffs on the weekends......... :thinking:

I also find it funny that some of you guys think I drink a lot- those who actually know me know that is in fact NOT the case.

Anyhow, can you answer a question for me?

Why do people who smoke pot get so defensive about thier drug of choice, and pretend it's a harmless little weed that has no bad side?

17. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Why do people who drink get defensive? How many lethal accidents are caused each year as a result of pot vs. alcohol?

Never have I seen someone do something really stupid while being stoned. I have seen many of people be complete jackasses while drunk. As they say, alcohol gives you false bravado. Pot makes you a little slow and sleepy.

How many stoners get high and beat their wifes? Now how many alcoholics get drunk and beat their wifes? This could go on and on. In general, those under the influence of alcohol are a greater risk than those who are stoned. The point of one being legal and one not is pointless because legal or not, people are going to do it anyways. Look at prohibition.

At the end of it all though, there are responsible users and users with problems in both cases.

18. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Definitely a very valid point here.

I think we refer to those people as "noobs." Anyone who has been on ck5 for a while knows its not you.....more like fumes.:wink1: :D
    -Harrison

19. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have no problem with piss test or any other drug related tests. I think its great. What I do not think is great is the unemployment system, welfare system ect. I agree its useful in some situations like getting people back on their feet. BUT those people do not live in Kalamazoo, or Michigan for that matter. They take the governments money and are tickled to death that they do not have to work and still get paid. We should just switch to a flat tax system.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

'sup to the individual business IMO. If they believe that having sober employees is worth more than the cost of doing the tests, then they should be able to do them. If you don't agree, you can work somewhere else and do whatever drugs you want. My company doesn't do drug tests simply because of costs... we have over 150,000 people and a lot of turn over at the lower levels so drug testing for all would cost a lot of coin. That said, if your performance is crap (for any reason) you can always be fired.

As far as testing for benefits, I think this is an excellent idea. We already place conditions on benes like unemployment (gotta be at least looking for another job etc) and welfare... why not this? If you want to flush your life down the toilet, you should do so on your OWN DIME. Not mine.

j