Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TB wiring question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1-tonmudder, Feb 8, 2006.

1. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I am building a 84 K5 and am going to put a factory TBI set up on it.I have all the stuff from a 88 blazer but the wiring harness.I know they were used on Blazers and Subs until about 91,but still cant find one complete.So my question is this,what will i need to do to make a 88 truck harness work on my blazer.Does anyone have a drawing or stamatic of which wires to keep and which to cut out.I know I can get a harness from Painless for about $300,but I can get the truck harness for free and would like to use it if it
    's not too much hassle.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not an answer, but a question...is the injection stuff off of the '88 available to you?

I suspect not much of the wiring changed, but any that did, you'd have the components for it.

AIR, EVAP, AC, and the alternator harness can or will be integrated into the engine harness, so depending what/how you want to run, those can be culled. That's about it for needless wiring on an engine harness. Hopefully the '88 didn't integrate headlights, wipers, etc.

Autozone or someone has wiring manuals up on their website. Can't recall who for sure, but "wiring diagram" search MIGHT net who it was. I know the TBI wiring manuals for our trucks have been posted, I'm sure the post I made with all the troubleshooting/code chart links has our TBI wiring info as well.

3. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

The motor is gone from the 88 so all that is left is the harness.I would like to find one that is from a 87 up Blazer or Sub so I can just unbolt the harness at the firewall and plug the new one in.Im pretty sure that the headlight's and stuff are not on the truck harness.

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

You will need the entire engine (management) harness. This harness will control all TBI functions - MAP, EGR, knock sensor, ESC, distributor, oil pressure sending unit, injectors and connect them to the computer. Your current harness will not have these connectors (at least not the same ones). While not impossible to accomplish, building your own would be very time consuming, and difficult to find the correct connectors, unless you are willing to use a hobbled-together harness.

Check out the vendor forum, there is a vendor here (Affordable Fuel Injection http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121747) who sells this harness for $225. The factory harness is very good. You might have luck finding one in a junk yard (look out for one that has been hacked).

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had everything out of a '90 to go into my '78 but ended up buying a painless kit. They give u everything you need including adapters for the different year throttle bodies, fuel relays etc. Instructions are excellent and telephone tech help is great.