Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI 305 heads... what are they?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 20, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Are they the same design as the 350 heads or what? My friend has a TBI 305 and a carbed 350. He wants to inject the 350 so obviouslly combining the two makes sense, but if the TBI heads are the standard old 58cc, junk ports, tiny valve heads, its stupid to take those as well.

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Yes, they are itty bitty heads, 58cc, I would tell him to find some 350TBI heads if he wants to keep it stock.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh screw it, he's gonna either use a carb - tbi adapter or redrill the holes on the tbi intake. Its not hard, I've done it before.

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

With non tbi heads and cam, its gonna run rough till he gets a custom chip.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

umm what? My 1989 Suburban had the engine out of my 1984 K5 in it. Had old 70s carb heads, a tow cam, headers, and once I installed the 3 wire O2 sensor it ran GREAT. Stock camshafts are all about the same. Not saying they are exactly the same but between TBI and Carb the camshaft specs are that different. Maybe a little more Lobe Seperation Angle on the TBI cam, but with the already massively low duration it doesn't seem to effect the ECM.

TBI is capable of correcting for more than folks realize. You don't need a chip just because it has a little more airflow in the heads. Or a set of headers.

Now granted he will need 350 injectors and chip.