Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI 350 to TBI 454 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by d'cheat, Nov 5, 2005.

1. d'cheat

d'cheat Registered Member

Juat started it today. I have a nice, clean bigblock from a 1989 3500. Has only 80000 miles on it. No to shaby :)
    This big'ol engine is finding its way into my 1993 blazer. I have allready done a solid axle swap, and a conversion to a np203 t-case. My th350 is a little tired, so shortly after the swap, Ill be dropping off the rig to have a extensive rebuild on the trans.
    Lets see here..
    I found out that I will need to splice in the old style connectors into the new wire harness.
    Also, for thoes who plain this swap, there are alot of wires that are bolted to the back of your engine blcok. Dot forget them! Not to mention the grouding strap.
    Then theres the little stuff, power steering hoses, oil cooler lines, transmission lines.. These can be bolted to the 350 in varouns spots.

Ill be snapping lots'o pictures and keep you up to date.

Oh yea, my 13 ga. Gibson headers for the 350 are for sale with only 3 hours of run time on them, and a throttle body spacer.
    PM me if you want a price. :D

Geez, started playing with the 350's power band, and then it up and vomited its cam shaft. So hell, time to upgrade!

Later!
    D'cheat

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  2. d'cheat

3. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

So how is the swap going? Getting ready to do the same thing except an 89 for an 89! (350 to 454).

4. d'cheat

Its going well, however I have run into a little time factor. When I get home from work now, its pitch black outside. And my truck is way to big to fit in the garage. This weekend im going out of state, then next weekend there a bunch of family stuff going on... So I must attempt to contain myself for three weeks. In the meantime, Im fabricating a winch bumper..

All and all, this is a realy simple swap.
    If you can change your oil, then you can swap your engine!

5. AZ_Overdrive

Sounds like you are really busy. Any chance of getting some pics of your 454? What are you planning on doing about hooking up the exhaust from the 350 to the 454.

BTW, I am getting ready to do the EXACT same thing. 89 Burb 350 to 89 1 ton 454.

Thanks!

6. paintyouup123

paintyouup123 Registered Member

Headers and TBI Spacer

Sorry I dont have any of that pm stuff. How much for the headers and tbi spacer?

7. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to do the same thing on my 88 but the motor I am using iis a rebuilt out of a 78 so we will see how it goes for me.

8. d'cheat

The headers new cost $400, Im letting them go for $275.
    And $30 for the TBI spacer.

Shipping expenses will be bare bones for this stuff, So ill pick up that cost myself.

4xrick, it is a snap of a swap :) If nothing else, you have far less to deal with. No wires to hook up except to your spark plugs!

9. d'cheat

Ill get the pictures up soon.. I have a f'ing slow internet connection. I have to find the time to burn so I can upload them.
    Good news, the 454 exhaust bolts right up to the 350 exhaust :) I have a custom system in my rig currently, but it has factory header mount locations.

Good luck with your swap man! If you ever need help, then your in the right forum to ask :)

10. fordfreak300

fordfreak300 Registered Member

your nto gonna put that th350 behind that 454 are you? You need a th400.

11. AZ_Overdrive

I went to check out the 454 yesterday. Hooked up my AutoXray scanner to the truck. It didn't have any trouble codes but reported rich and had a high idle (1750 RPM). It blew out some blackish smoke at the first startup (hadn't been started in about a month). Exhaust pipe was coated with black soot, oil was burnt. Definately has some issues. Verified that the trans is a 400 (Texas shaped pan).

I am having some reservations about dropping $2000 on the engine and trans. People keep saying that the TBI 350 to TBI 454 is a strait swap but looking at the differences in wiring and setup, they seem quite different. Considering I can pickup a NEW 350 4 bolt for about 1800 I am a little hesitant on the 454..... :(

12. d'cheat

A good friend of my boss builds 350 transmissions to withstand 600+ horse power for the drag strip. Owns his own trans shop. He said that he would give it a good work over for me for parts cost and a couple hundred for his time.
    So no worries :D

13. d'cheat

Engine is in! Bolted up to the th350 transmission with out a problem. I replaced the flex plate on the 454, alsong with the starter, and gaskets. New motor mounts on the frame. I used the 350's block motor mounts and put them on the big block. I find that this makes the engine sit lower in the frame. I also had to ream out one of the bolt holes on the right side mount to align with the big block bolt holes. Other than that, no problems. Other than the skys opening up and snowing on me like mad. The raining for two days.... *chuckles* Any time I get knee deep in a project, the weather turns to crap.
    I swapped in the 454's ECU ROM chip into the stock ECU. Plug and play there.
    After CHRISTmas :D Ill be dicking with the wiring harness. Half of my marked connector stickers washed off, so this should be fun.
    Then on go the electric fans, and fluids. She should be scaring little children again by the end of the weekend.
    Pictures will be up soon on the rest of the process.
    On dialup, it takes lots'o time to load them up, so I need to simply set aside a day to do it.

Later!
    Oh, and Happy Goverment Mandated Celebration of the Winter Season, Day!
    For thoes who dont feel offended,
    Merry Christmas!

D'cheat

14. fordfreak300

Merry chrsitmas to you too. WHen you get to hooking up wires after x-mas let me know. I will double check on my engine to help guide you and take some pics if needed. I won't have time to take pics til after x-mas though. I have an 89 suburban with a 502, used to be a 454. Let me know if you need help identifying anything. liek I said I'll take some pics and post them up if you need me too. I belive most of the conncectors only go into their mate though if I rememebr correctly.

15. fordfreak300

454's burn a little oil. Running a hair rich and the slightly high idle could be a few minor issues that could be easily fixed. Mine runs about 1700 rpm or so and is a little rich til it warms up, takes about 10 minutes or so then it kicks down and runs perfect after it has warmed up. That may be all you were seeing on your scanner.

16. d'cheat

IT LIVES! BRUHAHAHAHA!! I have yet to hook all the wiring for the electric fans. But everything else is up and purring. Good oil pressure, idle was perfect after a few moments of running. I had to play with the timing for a few seconds, she was spitting some damn big fireballs out of the exhaust for the first few moments.
    I drove her just for a moment. No fan and all.. Gods, the power! The
    unbridled POWER! :D :D WHEEE! Im Soo happy! I have a Eaton axle that Ill be swaping in sortly. I figure that with my heavy right foot, the 10 bolt rear with locker wont last long.
    For that matter, nither will the rear tires. Heh.
    Pictures up this weekend.

Later

D'cheat

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  17. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A TH350 will be fine behind a 454, alot of drag racers run them. Lighter and supposedly take less power to run than a TH400.