Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI 383 cam?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by camok5, Jan 1, 2007.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So thanks to Noah going tpi I now have his 383 stroker motor which I plan to rebuild and put in my blazer. I want to know if the cam it has in it will work with a tbi setup ( yes I have a bigger tbi and plan on burning a new chip, etc). Its a comp cams extreme 4x4 cam. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2DCL12%2D235%2D2&N=700+400114+309523+115&autoview=sku
    I also want to know if there is a better cam out there that might make more low end power and still be able to work with the tbi? Also the engine has World Sportsman heads and roller rockers but everything else is just a scat 383 kit.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not enough lobe separation for a friendly computer control. You want around 113*-114* to be computer friendly.

3. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was told over on thirdgen that its not the lobe separation that causes the problem but to much overlap. I saw plenty of efi cams with 112*, so any idea what the overlap of this cam is?

4. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The relatively short duration numbers should make up for the under 112* lobe seperation, I don't think it'll have enough overlap to cause too much stress as long as it makes over 12 inches of vacuum at idle. If for some reason it doesn't just have the chip burned with an open loop idle. I have a cam that is considerably larger than that in my dad's Blazer and I was able to make it idle ok with a TBI.