Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI 454 advice- swap into older truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by monster man, Apr 7, 2006.

1. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

hey all, well, the weather is getting good and I'm ready to swap the 396 out of my K20. I figure the mileage can't get ANY worse than it is, so I might as well have more torque. The local wrecker has a TBI 454, but no carbed versions. What advice can you give me? I know nothing abnout TBI, should I swap on a carb? How much extra wiring is needed, the truck already has HEI ignition. New fuel pump?
    When swapped in, the extent of motor mods will be headers and dual exhaust, or in the case of carbing it, a aluminum intake as well.

Should I go for the TBI?:confused:

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd go with a TBI. I love mine. Just make sure you get EVERYTHING from the donor truck. All wiring, sensors etc. You can use an inline pump like the TBI ones from TurboCity. You'll need a return line to your tank too but you may already have one of those.

3. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

all right, good advice- They pull the motor, so if I go that route I'll have to make sure I get everything. I'll need to add the return line as well. Is it something easy enough that I can swap in this motor right away with a carb manifold, and add the TBI when I have some off time? They only have the TBI motor at the moment, but I need to get this thing smogged and registered ASAP

thanks!

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought your smog laws required emmision levels governed by the year of the engine? If so, you'll have to make a carbed big block TBI motor run as clean as if it still had TBI on it.