Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI 454 suggestions before install into '86

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Highjaxx, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

TBI 454 suggestions before install into \'86

Ignition - I was wondering what is required to upgrade the electrical system. All the computers, chips, wires, distributer, ect...

Intake - I can't decide between just the K&N filter, or the entire kit. I don't want to splash water in/on my filter.

Exhaust - I already have Doug Thorley Tri-Y's 304's, but they make contact with the oil filter mount. Does anyoune know how to remove/replace it to relocate the oil filter? I do have relocation kit but it screws onto the fitting that makes contact with the header.

Fuel - I've been told any TBI pump will work, is this correct? No more than 350 HP at least for now.

Coolant - I can't afford the "BeCool" radiator/transmission cooler/electric fans combo, any better priced kits.

Wiring - It's an '86 Suburban, that will have a '92 TBI 454, '91 cased custom 700R4, and an ORD doubler. Which replacment harness would work the best?

Any other suggestions are welcome, no rebuild for now. Money not available with tranny and doubler on the way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Miller

Miller Registered Member

Re: TBI 454 suggestions before install into \'86

i wouldnt get just anyfuel pump desinged for tbi truck, id make sure and get one that was desinged to move enough fuel for bigblock. I think moroso has some inline eletrick pumps that would work.

you could mount a raditor from almost any gm truck in your suburban, youd probly have to make some brackets and maybe grab permacool eletrick fan, 130 bucks or two depending on funds, you could either use the zipp tie deals to mount them to radiotor (wich I dont like) but there easy. or you can build some brackets so the fans arent ancored to radiator itself, a shroud wouldnt be needed with that set up.

Im not sure of your ignition question and upgradeing. are you meaning to upgrade the system to run the tbi system or the on e in your suburban. msd is good upgrade. also painless wire can make the swap as hassle free as possible.

id go with standerd gm air cleaner intacke assembly works good enough for its purpose and wont let water get in to the filter.

if I was doing the swap my first phone call would be to painless wireing, think there web site is

www.painlessperformance.com

3. LandRaider

LandRaider Registered Member

Re: TBI 454 suggestions before install into \'86

Ignition. Doner Vehicle. All GM v8's that were TBI will have the correct distributor.

Your TBI pump ill work fine. 545, and 305 trucks got the same one.

Coolant junk. Pick and pull is your friend here. You can get CHEAP coolers off of trucks and cars at the junkyard. BEST way to do it on the cheap.

Definantly use the 92 454 wiring harness, and computer, and acessories. Definantly the eaisest way.

I did the TBI swap on my chevelle with the 7747 computer, and throttle body stuff out of the junkyard. Very successful.