Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI 454 swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Feb 16, 2003.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

What would be involved in swapping a TBI 454 in place of a TBI 350? Would I be able to use any of the existing wiring? The 454 is from a 95 and it is basically just a long block. I know I would need the throttle body but what else would be required for the swap?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Probably want the computer too since it's programmed to run the 454. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

yeah you will probably need just about everything, the only thing you may not need is some of the wiring, if both motors use the same computer and have them in the same locations then you could use your wire harness, if not id get that too

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Keep your wiring harness and ECM and use a 454 chip. Make sure you get the throttle body unit for a 454, its a little bigger.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

To avoid some serious headaches, get the everything from the donor motor..and if the donor truck is an auto, get a donor ECM that is from a truck with a 5-speed...Here's the reason. When GM ditched the TH trannies in 1990 and went to the Electronically controlede deals, the ECM changed to include a PCM for the trannies..The ECM pinouts between the 95 ECM and you 89 ECM are VERY different. I lucked out and found a 1992 BBC that was out of a truck w/ a manual. If you If you want to keep you wiring, YOU CAN... Just find a an older 8747 ECM...The 8747 and 7747 ECMS have the SAME pinout...For me, I am only going to have to swap the ecm and a few conectors at the throttle body (TPS and IAC are different). I just re-read you post...I would find an 8747 ECM of of E-bay or just get the BBC prom and put it in your 7747 computer. And you need the BBC TB which has 2" bores and 85Lb/hr injectors...If you could come up with those two things it is a bolt in deal...The 95 TBI 454 is the same as the 92 I am putting in, but the computers changed in that said year span.

So to recap:

--&gt;Get a hold of an 8747 ECM (if its 1991 or later, make sure it is from a truck w/ a manual tranny)

--&gt;Get the 45 throttle body with injectors, IAC, and TPS

--&gt; Get any aditional sensors such as MAP, EGR solinoid, EGR valve, Knock sensor, ESC module, etc.

E-bay is a great resource from most of this stuff, although the 454 TB's are harder to find. Check out www.454ss.com there are guys on there that modify the 454 throttle bodies and might be able to hook you up...

Good luck...

Chris