Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI 454 with Vortech supercharger

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazr77400, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

I recently acquired a 1987 1 ton 2wd with a low mileage TBI 454. The computer missing is the only bad part. What I planned on doing was putting a Roller Cam setup in it but herd they had a Vortech supercharger for it. I have a few questions about it. I dont plan on putting the V-Tech SC on it for 6-7 months. But I do want to put a cam, and intake in it before dropping it in the truck. Has anyone had problems with there TBI and a supercharger, or a problem with TBI, Cam, and a supercharger. Is there a particular cam made for this application. Will this cam work without the supercharger on it for a while.
    Another question is, will the 5.7 computer work with 7.4 motor. The reason I ask is I have a 5.7 computer already.
    Its going in my 84 1 ton. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif It will have a low stall in it. Is that going to cause problems.
    Opinions and suggestions are very welcome.
    Thanks for any of the help.

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would check out this site 454 SS Trucks They have tons of info on the TBI 454.

John [​IMG]

3. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I beleive your 5.7 computer will work with your 7.4 you will need a custom chip, I've had very good luck with Ed Wright's programing.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

The 350 ecm with work on the 454 motor, but you need a different PROM...What cam do you want...I blower-specific cam might act kinda strange without the blower...If you go with a high duration cam, you will need a custom PROM...you can also go the Whipple route...I like whipple chargers (roots type) more than the centrifugal style chargers...

Chris

5. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

I do a lot of supercharger installs as I am a distributor of ATI ProChargers. Since you are using TBI, the main criteria is to use a cam with wide lobe spacing. This traps compression in the cylinder instead of the boost blowing out the exhaust during cam overlap. Ideally you want 114 lobe spacing. Stay conservative on cam selection with a charger & you will be better off. Most computer friendly cams are ground in this manner for a smooth idle. A hydraulic roller (dual pattern with 215/225 duration at .050 with 112min-114 lobe spacing) will make great power improvements & will run fine before the charger install.

6. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

Does ATI have a kit for that motor? If so what comes with it. Is there a cam that is recommended for it. The vortech kit is around 3500. Is the ATI in that ball park.I have heard good about ATI, and I am interested in that route too.
    So with the cam you mentioned, I could put that in, run without the supercharger a little while, the motor would run okay, then throw the supercharger on