Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Adapter plate - Made it today on break! pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigburban383, Jan 5, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I made this today on break. Well, HillBilly programmed the Bridgeport to cut the ports, but I did everything else /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

This is the top, its aluminum so I helicoiled the TBI threads[​IMG]
    Notice the chamfer on the ports, that well help prevent the venturi effect[​IMG]
    Fully assembled
    [​IMG]

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Very nice, How thick is the plate?

3. bigburban383

Its only 1/2 inch. It was free so im not complaining, but I was searching for the 3/4 inch. It would then double as a TBI spacer and give me some more torque. 1/2 inch will do anyways.

4. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

What intake is that. Is it a single plane ?. Looks like an e-bock performer dual plane to me. I have heard of people doing this on a dual planes and have had some issues.
    Looks like you put the holes right in the middle of the dual plane intake. I am also making one for my Vortec intake e-brock RPM manifold which is also a dual plane intake. I think I might set the holes back a little and mill out the center divider on my intake to prevent starvation. I have a drawing already all I need is some time on my mill to get it done. I wish I had a CNC mill..hehehe.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Painless wiring has one available that I was going to buy. I honestly hope that works out for me, I don't want to drill an intake or use the centerbolt heads.

6. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]
    What intake is that. Is it a single plane ?. Looks like an e-bock performer dual plane to me. I have heard of people doing this on a dual planes and have had some issues.
    Looks like you put the holes right in the middle of the dual plane intake. I am also making one for my Vortec intake e-brock RPM manifold which is also a dual plane intake. I think I might set the holes back a little and mill out the center divider on my intake to prevent starvation. I have a drawing already all I need is some time on my mill to get it done. I wish I had a CNC mill..hehehe.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes its a edlebrock performer dual plane. The TBI bolt holes are acctually off set so the bolts dont hit the center divider. So what problems did people have? Was it a engine running issue or was it a design issue?

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohhh...SHould I not use my 87-89 454 Preheat adaptor that is a direct bolt on for a GM Spread bore used from the 60's to the late 80's?

hehehe I don't think anybody knows about this little Gem.
    Nice machine work though.

8. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ohhh...SHould I not use my 87-89 454 Preheat adaptor that is a direct bolt on for a GM Spread bore used from the 60's to the late 80's?

hehehe I don't think anybody knows about this little Gem.
    Nice machine work though.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what is this mystery Preheat adaptor that your talking about?? Do you have a part # for it? Pic??

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need to double check the part number. Didn't realize it didn't come out clear. I think its 10086789.

The TBI unit is LARGER then a 350 TBI My understanding is this was only used on 87-89 N code 454's. In 90 the 454 went to a simular style intake like a SBC had with the built in boss for the 2bbl TBI.

The adaptor was plumbed into the heater hose to preheat in the cold. I have a 88 454 sub with the same set up and never had a issue with it freeszing up without it hooked up as long as I was running a stock air cleaner with preheat off the manifold.

You must also use the factory gasket (not pictured) $5 from the dealer. It will work fine on a Spread bore intake. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wonder if it'd seal on an Edelbrock intake.

11. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes its a edlebrock performer dual plane. The TBI bolt holes are acctually off set so the bolts dont hit the center divider. So what problems did people have? Was it a engine running issue or was it a design issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

People are having running and driveability issues.
    T.J.

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hey Travis, if ya need one of those, I just happen to have one "in stock". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

The 454 one if so how much. Just got all the tbi stuff and need an adapter for mine.

By the way nice looking adapter

14. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People are having running and driveability issues.
    T.J.

[/ QUOTE ]

That really sucks. Do you think a 454 TBI unit could remedy that problem?

15. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have Holley Pro-Jection on an Edelbrock intake with similar Holley adaptor as the one you built. I do not have driveability issues with mine.

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, it's from an '89 or '90 TBI 454. $20 plus shipping and it's yours. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Bigburb,
    Have you used it yet. If so how is it. Also do you happen to have a dimensional drawing of that. I have a drawing of a carb adapter all I need are the rise/run dimensions of the bolt spacing for the TBI and the spacing and size of the holes. If not I just need to spend some time with a TBI and a caliper.
    Thanks
    T.J.

18. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]
    Bigburb,
    Have you used it yet. If so how is it. Also do you happen to have a dimensional drawing of that. I have a drawing of a carb adapter all I need are the rise/run dimensions of the bolt spacing for the TBI and the spacing and size of the holes. If not I just need to spend some time with a TBI and a caliper.
    Thanks
    T.J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll tell ya how I did it. Cut a piece of square cardboard put a tiny bit of oil around the bolt holes on the intake and set the cardboard on that. That left a oil stain with the hole in the middle and I marketed it. The I took the TBI gasket and centered it on the cardboard, marked the holes and the ports. Then you reference the cardboard to your plate. I cut the intake holes bigger to compensate for error, but make sure the TBI screw holes are perfect.

19. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Several companies make TBI to Carb manifold adapters. Holley and TurboCity just to name a few.

20. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I know for 50$ or more but I like to save where I can.

Harry I'll pm ya.